Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

View Poll Results: Who pays for your education?
Parents 117 33.52%
Other relatives 10 2.87%
Student loans 52 14.90%
Financial aid 69 19.77%
You 87 24.93%
other 14 4.01%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2007, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Barry Bonds indicted

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That's true. He avoids answering the question of whether the thinks BB took steroids. It's all a media/government conspiracy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I avoid answering the question because I have refrained from speculation until all the facts have been revealed, and both sides have been given a chance to present their side.

Call me crazy, but I kinda believe in the presumption of innocence and the right to a fair trial.

For example, assuming their is an eventual acquittal, based upon the evidence presented, I will form an opinion based on that....while someone like you who made his mind up 3 years ago when an SI writer told you what to think, your not going to accept the verdict based on the actual evidence, since you've already formed your decision based on preconceptions.

Simply put, what you are saying about me actually applies more to you. I haven't formed my opinion yet and await seeing the evidence.....while your opinion was made up long ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? After all of these years you haven't formed an "opinion" of whether Barry ever took steroids? Bull-crap.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ever consider that Bonds did tell the truth, and it certainly didn't end there?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did. And I dismissed it as nearly impossible. The evidence is overwhelming and his testimony evasive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, the evidence may look "overwhelming" considering right now it is unproven allegation, and the defense hasn't had a chance to address it.

But, seeing as you ae already convinced even before the other side has gotten a chance to speak....then it should be extremely easy for the prosecution to secure a conviction.

Let's see how that plays out. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He tried to avoid saying no many times. Eventually he does say no, but he does what he can to avoid answers. That is what I get from reading the testimony.

[/ QUOTE ]

He said "no" 15+ times in the limited amount of testimony that is excerpted in the indictment.

[ QUOTE ]

That, along with all the other written evidence and circumstantial evidence and witnesses -- by the way, circumstantial evidence is not a bad thing -- many criminals are convicted solely on circumstantial evidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evidence that has not even been presented at trial, nor had an opportunity to be challenged by the defense.

Yet, you take it as gospel.

Yikes...
Old 11-17-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Game of Shadows by itself is overwhelming unless you read it with an overskeptical pro-Bonds bias (like those who believe OJ didn't commit the murders).

[/ QUOTE ]

The Pulitzer prize committee that reviewed it objectively after it was nominated for an award dismissed it as "not able to be viewed as factual or credible", and deemed the majority of evidence to be "uncorrobrated and based on hearsay".

So, are you saying that the objective Pulitzer committee, charged with upholding journalistic standard and excellence, is somehow biased in favor of Bonds?

And why on earth do you consistently attempt to draw parallels between Bonds and OJ?

[ QUOTE ]

The courtroom is not always the best forum to get all the facts...

[/ QUOTE ]

Naturally I would assume someone like you would think this....considering the courtroom is bound to the presumption of innocence, a burden of proof, and allows the accused to confront their accusers.

[ QUOTE ]
I also have some personal knowledge on how a U.S. Attorney's office works and what it takes to get the approval to bring a high profile indictment -- so that gives me some added comfort that this case would not have been brought without some pretty strong evidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think it has anything to do with them fearing egg on their face without even an indictment after 4+ years of investigations?

Hey...if you are convinced the evidence is that strong, a conviction should be a piece of cake.....

Let's see how it plays out. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2007, 07:02 PM

RedBean,
I think it is very likely Bonds said no more than any other word in the indictment.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
RedBean,
I think it is very likely Bonds said no more than any other word in the indictment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is ironic considering the prominent myth 2 years ago courtesy of the sports media was that he admitted using steroids in the GJ, although unknowingly.

Where are those guys at with their retractions?
Old 11-17-2007, 07:11 PM

This just in:

Mark McDougal, the curator at the Pirates Hall of Fame, said during an interview with a local station that at the request of the Bond's defense team, he has sent a 1991 game-worn Barry Bonds' Pirates hat on display to the office of Mike Rains in California.

"If the Pirates hat fits, you must acquit."

Video of McDougal interview.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't think it has anything to do with them fearing egg on their face without even an indictment after 4+ years of investigations?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is one of the worst theories I have heard -- and it has been repeated here often. How long have you spent in a U.S. Attorney's Office? These are not your local D.A.'s.

It is difficult for a U.S. Attorney's office to seek an indictment to avoid egg on the face -- and in high profile cases, they don't have the last word. It has to go up the line through the justice department. Because the process goes on behind closed doors, it is very easy to walk away without indicting and it is very common for them to do so... you just don't know it because they don't necessarily announce it. Indictments are public. Failures to indict are not.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:17 PM

TMTTR, that is true perhaps of a more typical investigation. But how many high-profile, 4-year investigations, that start as and continue to be a media circus throughout, are simply thrown out? This is not a typical case.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This just in:

Mark McDougal, the curator at the Pirates Hall of Fame, said during an interview with a local station that at the request of the Bond's defense team, he has sent a 1991 game-worn Barry Bonds' Pirates hat on display to the office of Mike Rains in California.

"If the Pirates hat fits, you must acquit."

Video of McDougal interview.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol redbean always gets me