Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit

Old 11-29-2007, 08:27 AM

Default Live 6/12 AKs: This DVD includes a bonus alternate ending!

As the subject indicates, I'm primarily wondering what everyone would do in each of the following river situations (though comments on all streets are welcome, because I can't tell whether I handled this brilliantly or misplayed every street).

Live 6/12 in AC. The table is typically passive but tighter in general than usual (3-5 handed to the flop; a raise PF usually gets it down to heads-up, sometimes 3-handed).

Villain in the hand (SB) is fairly LAG but otherwise decent. I say "fairly" because while he loves putting in the 1st or 2nd bet with almost anything, he's not usually as eager to put in the 3rd or 4th; and he sometimes misses value bets/raises with decent-but-not-great hands on later streets.

My image is probably not the greatest (the last two hands I've raised PF and showed down were 66 and a mid suited connector).

On to the hand ...

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

1 fold, Hero raises, 6 folds, SB 3-bets, BB folds, Hero calls.

Note: Before you shout, "Cap this, you idiot!", I'm doing that 95% of the time here, but in this case my strategy was to let the SB bet (which he'll always do) and raise any flop containing exactly 3 cards. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Flop (~6 SB after rake): 10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB bets, Hero raises, SB 3-bets, Hero caps, SB calls.

Because capping with overcards is fun!

Turn (7 BB): (10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, Hero checks.

River (7 BB): (10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Scenario (A): SB bets, Hero ...

Scenario (B): SB checks, Hero bets, SB raises, Hero ...

Mook
Old 11-29-2007, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Live 6/12 AKs: This DVD includes a bonus alternate ending!

I'll take a stab at this.

I find it hard to put the villain on a hand. I think that 88 - AA, AT - AK are in his range. I discount TT and 88 with the turn check, and I discount KQ, JQ, KT type of stuff based on your read.

Based on your observation that he tends to miss value on later streets, I would tend to call in both scenarios.

(But, then again, I'm new).
Old 11-29-2007, 11:24 AM

cap preflop. The flop cap/turn check is pretty bad.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:16 PM

flop cap is rofl

is SB a 2p2er engaging in a pissing contest?
Old 11-29-2007, 02:24 PM

well, your play is pretty lol on all streets, but i want to see a cheap showdown on the river, so you figure that out.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Re: I think that you think that I think.....

Your play will drive some nuts but make the sound players mouths water.
You can value bet the river when checked by the sb but I would never raise when he bets into you. I think both 88 and TT are in his rainge and the turn check may have been because of greedand a burning desire to check raise the maniac. It is even possible that you are up against a suited QJ and a sb that want to punish you for lite raising. If he is sound, his action may be more based on his perception of you than on his cards.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:30 PM

I'm sure that in scenario (B) I would make a curiosity call. I would want to know if he could go for a c/r with AA or KK on the river after having it checked through on the turn. I would also want to know if he could read me well enough to suspect I would bet that K. I would also want to know if he could c/r bluff with QQ or JJ. These are things I would like to know, combined with the actual chance that I have the best hand, and they would make me call if c/r'd. I know a player can go broke making river curiosity calls but here I think you would have to make one.

Scenario (A): you haven't described him as a person that will be betting JJ/QQ here, so just call even though Aces or a set of Ks are somewhat statistically unlikely. It is possible that your check behind on the turn convinced him you only have a pair of tens here at the river so a call is worth it.

FWIW, I think I dump when he c/r me on the flop.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:31 PM

I hate the flop cap. I don't even really like the raise either. The problem is that you didn't cap, so the hand plays completely differently. If you cap preflop and he c/r the flop you should drop the turn. So do that next time.

As played I bet the K when he checks to me and call the raise expecting to lose most of the time. I'm never ever in a million years raising this river. Well, maybe against a total spaz. But, really, don't do it.

Lol at folding to the flop c/r getting 9-1 w/ 6-8 outs.