Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Adjusting to a bad streak.

I have been running bad the last week. Fortunately, I have broke pretty close to even. I am not playing particualarly bad, although I have made my share of mistakes.

During this streak I have been getting good not great starting cards like AK,AQ,TT,99 etc. but continually missing the flop.

Here is the situation: I raise from HJ with AK and both blinds call. They are both loose calling stations. They both know that I have been raising a lot but not winning a lot. They see me bet the flop, turn, and check the river and show me their pair of twos or bottom pair or whatever. They see my frustrated look and somebody at the table shouts "AK no good".

These same two players have seen me check and fold after the flop completely missed me. They have seen me bet and fold when I have absolutely nothing and get raised. In other words they know that I am running bad and probably have nothing or exactly what they put me on "AK".

When It is heads up or I am up against two players like the blinds I will always bet the flop and pretty much always bet the turn after they have called me. This assumes a nonscary board like: Jd7h5s. When I am running well These bets are for value. But when I am running bad it just seems that I am donating to those convinced and correct that I have nothing.

I am curious what strategic adjustments you guys make in this situation if any?

Do you just play your normal game and hope to start hitting some flops and know they will be paying you off?

Do you perhaps revert to a "fit or fold" strategy maybe checking it down when you have missed again?

Perhaps when I completely miss like: Q85 board and I have AT I should just give up or hope to get to showdown.

Lets assume that I have no reads other than I am up against the blinds who are loose and will be calling me down with any made hand.

Is it time to leave or change tables if in the first couple hours I can't hit a flop even if the game is good?
Old 11-04-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Adjusting to a bad streak.

Keep playing your game, don't back off the aggresion and don't let yourself get a defeatist attitude. The fact that you're almost even over this stretch should help you. Also, reread the section on playing overs in Miller's SSLH.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:56 PM

I think the ONLY thing you can do is to stay positive and keep playing your usual game. The last thing you wanna do is go into your shell and start playing like a loose passive, you will likely only make things worse.

And never ever ever even think about leaving a good table just beacause you missed a few flops!!!
Old 11-04-2007, 06:23 PM

mongidig,

Here are some tidbits of advice. Some of this will sound like a broken record, but it only goes to show how important they are.

(1) We have all been there. Always keep that in mind, because it can be a lonely, lonely feeling when you’re running bad.

(2) Handling tilt. If you feel you may be letting emotions taking over, feel free to take a few extra seconds to think through some of your marginal decisions.

(3) Keep playing good. This goes hand-in-hand with don’t fall into bad habits. It’s way too easy to start doing things like playing too many hands. Conversely, in some cases you might shy away from playing hands that you should. I know, because I fall into this category.

(4) The ego destroys an otherwise good player. If you are playing badly and know you’re playing badly (for an extended period of time) leave. Know when you’re no longer the favorite, and leave for a day, a few days or even a week or longer to clear your head.

(5) Post more hands. When you hit a bad streak, it’s easy to feel like you’re playing bad. Sometimes it’s the case, but sometimes not. When you hit a bad streak, the fact is, it’s a perfect time to reflect on your game (not that you shouldn’t when you’re winning too). Elicit opinions of other respected players. Open your mind to new ideas. I often find that when I lose, it’s when I learn the most because I tend to be hardest on myself.

(6) Coaching. I actually don’t know much about this, since I don’t have any experience with it. You can try asking others. If you feel you have serious leaks, maybe you can seek professional help. It’s a good way to have someone analyze a lot of your play, tendencies, etc... Of course, the right coach is paramount.

These are just a few ideas. I hope they help.

Edit: It occurred to me that you might be asking for specific advice for situations. It’s difficult with the hands you’ve presented. A lot of marginal decisions where it doesn’t matter much which way you go. However, when you're heads up and you raised pre-flop, it's almost always right to bet it.

But keep in mind that when you’re running bad and other players pick up on it, they will often play better against you. Another reason to leave.

Garland
Old 11-04-2007, 08:19 PM

I went through this the last couple weeks.

I ran REALLY bad online, then lost a couple grand at 20-40 at commerce.

Then went back to my best game (stud)... and ran HORRIBLE there (lost with aces up more times in one session than I can ever remember).

Anyways. I came home and had a friend evaluate about 2,000 hands of play on-line at low limits. I once again made SEVERAL mistakes and ran SICK cold. Losing about 140 big bets over 2,000 hands by being over aggressive when I was behind, and under aggressive when I was ahead. My stats (percentage wise) looked good... but obviously my lines and read were WAY off.

I've decided to take 4 days off... re-work my game... re-read some books / 2+2 posts... and change my card room for a short period. I might go play up north and/or head out to Vegas.

The best thing you can do is NOT get passive or emotional (which is a HUGE flaw in my game).

Good luck
Old 11-04-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been running bad the last week. Fortunately, I have broke pretty close to even

[/ QUOTE ]

No you haven't been running bad.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:25 PM

Buy in to the game with a ton of chips (like 5-6 racks). Don't allow yourself to show any indication that you are frustrated. Play your normal game, but if you get the chance, play a big draw or two REALLY hard. 4-bet the turn with a gutshot + flush draw, go 6-bets on the flop with an OESD, etc. Just find a few spots where you're only a little -ev, and jam the [censored] out of them just to let people know you're not weak/scared. It will discourage them from taking shots at you.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:32 PM

"I have been running bad the last week. Fortunately, I have broke pretty close to even."

Sorry but I stopped reading here. You play break even poker for a week and whine about it? Try posting again when you hit a real bad streak.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:49 PM

Uh, it's hard to win at LHE without ever making a hand. Don't fret it. Eventually, you'll starting hitting your share. In the meantime...

Semi-bluff a little less, since you're more likely to get called. But DO semi-bluff those hands which have good chances of completing to a best hand (like overcards + flush draw). It sounds as though your opponents may be adjusting to you a little. So cut down on the more marginal bluffs until you start winning again and they are more likely to fold. That's my opinion anyway.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:30 PM

i'm in middle of a 6 week run bad period, last session (short 3 hour session) alone i had 6 big pairs, 2 of which were capped preflop, and only 1 which was behind until turn, 3 of which never got past flop, 2 sets, one against a guy who hit a one card straight flush against me (weeeh 3 bets on turn drawing dead is fun). oh and bet/folding a-k on king high FLOPS and getting raised by the tightest player is fun, and having him show u k-10 for top two is even better.

you shouldn't be playing poker if you think one bad week is a bad run. I always tell myself in middle of a swing, that there are tons of players who have run worst then me, longer than me, and who are better than me. just keep trying to focus on decisions and not results, best of luck man at tables.