Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Re: I would NOT do God\'s will if he were immoral

I thought OP meant that if he were Abraham he would refuse to sacrifice Isaac on God's instructions (Isaac didn't wind up killed, as it turned out, but it was one of the classic "test of faith" episodes in the old testament.)
Old 11-03-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im pretty sure God's morals are more important than your "morals"

[/ QUOTE ]
only in the sense that the concentration camp guards morals are more important than the inmates.

chez
Old 11-03-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By most definitions of God it is imposible for God to do wrong. God invented the concept of right and wrong and gave it to humans.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a fallacious argument. There is no reason to believe that a creator is more moral than his creations. Even if God created a moral context, he can still be evaluated within that context (think of it like this - if I design an IQ test, does that mean I have the highest IQ in the world?). Finally, there is nothing to indicate that God's moral standard is superior to any independent moral standard created and used by humans.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:11 PM

This debate is massively dependant on people's definitions of 'god', 'god's will', and the like. Also their definition of whether god=omnipitent+good, if this is the case then obv it would be wrong to deny him any request.

Although, that also depends upon your definition of 'wrong'.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This debate is massively dependant on people's definitions of 'god', 'god's will', and the like. Also their definition of whether god=omnipitent+good, if this is the case then obv it would be wrong to deny him any request.

[/ QUOTE ]

If God is both omnipotent and good, then he can't authentically make any immoral request. Because God is omnipotent, he never has to incur any cost in order to achieve a goal. Because God is good, he can only desire "bad" when it's a necessary cost in order to achieve a greater good.

But I think the problem of evil renders an omnipotent benevolent God impossible, regardless. If there is a God, that God must be either imperfect in power or imperfect in love.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If God is both omnipotent and good, then he can't authentically make any immoral request. Because God is omnipotent, he never has to incur any cost in order to achieve a goal. Because God is good, he can only desire "bad" when it's a necessary cost in order to achieve a greater good.

But I think the problem of evil renders an omnipotent benevolent God impossible, regardless. If there is a God, that God must be either imperfect in power or imperfect in love.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was mostly my point.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:06 PM

Finally, there is nothing to indicate that God's moral standard is superior to any independent moral standard created and used by humans.

Yes there is, if God by definition cant be wrong then if he says his way is better then it is
Old 11-03-2007, 06:08 PM

"imperfect in power or imperfect in love. "

Unless he willingly does not fully utilize his power in order to allow his creation free will. And if he is omniscient then he knows that it is better to have free will and evil than no free will and no evil.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:15 PM

wow you suck at logic
Old 11-03-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Finally, there is nothing to indicate that God's moral standard is superior to any independent moral standard created and used by humans.

Yes there is, if God by definition cant be wrong then if he says his way is better then it is

[/ QUOTE ]

well if you're going to start defining "god" as something that: can't lie, can't be wrong, and says his way is better -- as essential characteristics, you're really just abusing the word to make yourself correct.