Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT

Old 10-24-2007, 03:05 AM

Default Re: Terrible money bubble spot in 100r

he's talking about "laying apes" so i assume the latter ???
Old 10-24-2007, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Why do you assign UTG+1 and SB similar ranges?

2) He will very, very rarely win $1,807.44 with 5BBs. That is probably 9th or 8th place money.

[/ QUOTE ]

1.... because i'm not very smart and it makes the math easy.
seriously reads would be helpful. what hands would you cram in this spot with 4 players remaining and sb with 7 times your stack. sb could have a real hand, or just be flyswatting.

2.... for the record... i'm not advocating calling. i just thought with everyone saying easy fold, i would be interesting to try and quantify what conditions it would take to make it a call.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
quite a std lay ape

[/ QUOTE ]

standard or sexually transmitted disease?

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 10-24-2007, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so, if i didn't unmercifully bollox this math up, if apestyles calls and the 20% of the time his hand holds up, if he can win $1,807.44 with the 16,329 chips he has, then calling is just as good as folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good job on the analysis. That's exactly how you should analyze the situation (we can debate ranges, but the process is right).

The only process mistake you make is highlighted above. The question isn't whether he CAN win that much with the amount of chips he has, it's WILL he win that much ON AVERAGE. 'Can' implies whether it's possible, and it certainly is...but the amount he will win on average with that stack is approximately his ICM equity and that should be much less than the number you posted (but requires payouts to actually calculate).
Old 10-24-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What goggles said... I'd fold a realllllllllly wide range here. Like AK is probably a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you fold the SB too? You have only a few hands until you are anted out. I certainly am not folding a real hand here, and I am not sure the situation in OP is a fold.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so, if i didn't unmercifully bollox this math up, if apestyles calls and the 20% of the time his hand holds up, if he can win $1,807.44 with the 16,329 chips he has, then calling is just as good as folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good job on the analysis. That's exactly how you should analyze the situation (we can debate ranges, but the process is right).

The only process mistake you make is highlighted above. The question isn't whether he CAN win that much with the amount of chips he has, it's WILL he win that much ON AVERAGE. 'Can' implies whether it's possible, and it certainly is...but the amount he will win on average with that stack is approximately his ICM equity and that should be much less than the number you posted (but requires payouts to actually calculate).

[/ QUOTE ]

without question, you are correct that the question really is how will he do if he calls.

i think this question is quite interesting as it brings more factors into play that are on the surface. for instance, how does hero evaluate his skillset against the remaining players ? what are the distribution of the remaining stacks? what is the payout structure?

in a situation such as this, which looks like a very easy fold, an above average player if he had an additional 1500 chips might be correct in calling. had he 7300 chips rather than ~ 5800, this might be a reasonable call and that's sort of counter-intuitive.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
reading this thread it seems that the obvious answer is the correct one, that hero should fold. just for the hell of it i fooled around with the numbers and came up with some curious/interesting results.

first, i screwed around with poker stove an tried to find hero's equity against various ranges of utg+1 and sb if hero should call. for instance, if utg+1 has exactly AA and sb has exactly KK, hero has 17% equity. if utg+1 and sb both moved in with top 10%, hero's equity is 21.6%. with this data, for the sake of simplicity assume hero has about 20% equity vs any reasonable ranges.

quite frankly, i have a difficult time putting precise ranges on utg+1 and sb, since the shove by utg+1 is a little odd with a cripple in the bb and a huge stack in the sb, so , again, for simplicity i'll assume their ranges are similar.

that being stipulated, if hero folds, sb wins 50% of the time putting hero itm and utg+1 wins 50% of the time doubling up and leaving hero with 543 chips after he posts the next hand. his chance of cashing at this point is close to zero.

therefore hero's equity of folding is $903.6 / 2 = +451.80 hence , the logic of folding.

but let's explore what happens if hero decides to call. 80% of the time he loses and bubbles.

20% of the time he wins and his stack moves up to 16,329 chips and he is still alive.

of the 20% of the time his cards hold up, 50% of that time the sb wins the side pot and utg+1 bubbles and hero wins $903.60 and is still in the tourney with 16,329 chips and can possibly move up. the other 50% of that time, utg+1 will win the side pot and there will still be 19 left with hero with 16,329 chips, still alive, but with zero monies. so hero's immeadiate equity of calling equals $903.60 x 10% = $90.36. obv that folding is better than calling by $451.80 - $90.36 = $361.44.

but that's not the whole story. the 20% of the time hero calls and wins the show down, he not only gets the cash equity, but 16,329 chips that may enable him to win a lot more money with 18 or 19 players left. how much money would hero have to win to make calling = folding ???

if x equals the equlibrium point in dollars that hero needs to win with his 16,329 chips the 20% of the time he wins the showdown to make equity of folding = equity of calling then .8($0) + .2($X) = $351.44 or x = $1,807.44

can apestyles take 5.5 bb's and move up substantially with 18 or 19 players left ?? i don't know the structure of the payouts, but at least 2 players at his table will have around 20k in chips, so it.s's not out of the question for a top player.........

[/ QUOTE ]

If hero folds they still have a non-zero chance of cashing. Saying it's zero is really innaccurate, you just have to double up one or two times to get back in it, or hope for a bust on another table in the next few hands, all of which is very possible.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for instance, how does hero evaluate his pushbotting skillz against the remaining players?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-24-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If hero folds they still have a non-zero chance of cashing. Saying it's zero is really innaccurate, you just have to double up one or two times to get back in it, or hope for a bust on another table in the next few hands, all of which is very possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

without question, you are correct that my assuming hero has zero chance to cash if left with 1800 chips. is not precise. clearly, he has some chance to cash , even with 11% of the shortest stack left in the tourney. i used zero to simplify the math.

realistically, does hero have a 10% chance to cash w/1800 chips.... maybe , on a good day. if so the crux of the math is reasonably valid.

my attempt here was to show that the intuitive reasoning of fold was probably correct, but had hero's stack been just a little larger (where winning would give him a stack ~22,000) then he would have a reasonable chance to reach the $1,807 in equity he needed to make calling a reasonable option.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:51 PM

My analysis is that hero has about a 22% of winning the hand if he calls and about a 57% chance someone busts if he folds.

If hero folds, his expectation is about $1.1K when the raiser busts. When the raiser wins, hero can call in the SB or fold and hope someone busts before he is anted out. Let's say his expectation is $400 when the raiser wins. So his overall expectation is about $800 by folding.

If we assume hero's expectation is $3K when he wins the hand, his expectation is $660 by calling.

So I would say this is a fold, but I would call with any ace, any pp, any suited connector, all but the worst kings, and some other high card hands and suited gappers.