Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 05:47 PM

Default AKs, Is 3bet ok? C-bet ?

I've been 3 betting with AK in position quite a bit, for the most part it seems to be ok but I get myself into a pretty bad spot sometimes. In the hand when I 3bet and villian calls do you always lead flop no matter what? Is commiting myself ok here or should I just fold when he pushes?
Villain is also lagish around 38/14.

Also, should I just be 3 betting AK when I'm OOP and smooth calling when I'm in position?

Full Tilt Poker, $0.05/$0.10 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

Hero (BTN): $10.45
SB: $25
BB: $8.75
UTG: $2.65
CO: $9

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BTN)
UTG folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $0.30</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.60</font>, 2 folds, CO calls $1.30

Flop: ($3.35) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
CO checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $3</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to $7.40 and is All-In</font>
Old 10-09-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: AKs, Is 3bet ok? C-bet ?

I really don't like your c-bet amount. I don't mind PF (in fact it is standard), but the amount you bet leaves you in a really icky spot given your given odds. I would much prefer betting like $1.75 or so and folding to a shove.

Checking this flop is also fine and would probably be my preferred. I doubt he's calling OOP with too much garbage and this isn't really a great flop to c-bet.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:57 PM

Yeah, good point. It never even crossed my mind to bet less... God I'm too addicted to betting pot. thanks orange
Old 10-09-2007, 05:59 PM

the cbet isn't the problem, it's ur 3bet pf. make it a dollar then cbet 1.75.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:08 PM

You might want to modify your bet-sizing, first of all. I think your pf 3-bet is a little too big. If you're in late position (to the left of the raiser), consider 3 betting between 3.5 and 4x his raise. If you're in the blinds, between 4 and 5x his raise.

The second thing is the size of your c-bet in a re-raised pot. In general, you should be betting smaller than pot for a number of reasons:
a) the pot is bloated, so even a 1/2 pot c-bet is going to be a larger proportion of remaining stacks than normal
b) ranges are tighter and more polarized in 3 bet pots, so you and opponent are often in way ahead/way behind situations relative to each other, meaning you don't worry about draws as much, and you can make your probing c-bet when you miss the same size as your flop value bet when you hit, which increases your EV both ways
c) there is a higher tendency in 3 bet pots for opponents to go for check-raise all ins, so it sucks to bet too much with A high and then get good mathematical odds to call a shove whilst realizing you are likely crushed, but unsure to what extent; a small c-bet (1/2 pot) often allows you to get away more easily when villains shove.

Finally, for this hand, you have position, a backdoor draw, overcard outs, and villain is offering you a free card. Consider checking behind and seeing a turn. He typically has a weaker Ax hand himself and will be unlikely to improve, or he has an overpair/set and wants to trap, or he's check-calling a few streets with 77-99. Occasionally he has a random hand (connector or what not.) Given the above, checking behind seems the smarter move.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:10 PM

Pre-flop raise to a buck. Then pot will be 2.15 and you bet like 1.5. Then you fold to this check raise.