Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 10-05-2007, 07:18 PM

Default \"Lost\" Albums

Inspired by Irieguy's post...Post a favorite album/CD you absolutely love but you don't think anyone else in The Lounge has even heard of before. And give us a description, not just a list! tell us WHY you love it and include links if possible.

Here's a couple of mine:

Sam Phillips - Cruel Inventions, 1991

Amazon link to Cruel Inventions

The female singer, NOT the founder of Sun Records! She's married to legendary producer T-Bone Burnett and has made a few really great albums, including The Indescribable Wow and Martinis and Bikinis. Cruel Inventions was sandwiched in between those two and for me, it's her best work. Before her popular work, she was actually a Christian artist under the name Leslie Phillips. You might also know her as the blond assassin girlfriend to Jeremy Irons in Die Hard 3.

She's a singer/songwriter with a dark edge; more rock than pop. Great songs that are arranged by Van Dyke Parks, icy vocals, fantastic production by Burnett, and one album I still play over and over.

I couldn't find any songs online from this album, so here's a music video off of Martinis and Bikinis:
I Need Love

Serena Maneesh - Serena Maneesh, 2005

This is a Norwegian band that plays a noisy, ethereal brand of rock, much in the vein of My Bloody Valentine and Sonic Youth. Noisy yet melodic, chaotic but controlled...it's probably my favorite "new music" cd of the last few years.

video for "Drain Cosmetics"

The above song is about as accessible as they get....the rest of the album isn't even broken up into "songs" per se, more like parts of a whole that include distortion and multiple part movements of the same piece.

Their music is so incredibly layered and loud and what some might mistake for just "noise," but underneath the chaos is incredible intricacy. Fantastic album in every way.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Re: \"Lost\" Albums

Starcastle - 1975

I loved this album, OK I actually had the 8 Track version, and played it until I wore the tape out. This is a band out of champagne IL that was greatly influenced by Yes and was very good in the progressive rock genre of the 70's. The band was very tight and it was fun to listen to!

Many good memories of popping this in the old 8 track in my van and cruising around with my buddies. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2007, 09:42 PM

when you listen to Starcastle now, do you still anticipate the "break" in the one song as the 8-track changes tracks? I know every time I listen to the Cars first album, I expect "Dont cha Stop" to fade out in the middle and start back up again after a loud KERCHUNK. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2007, 10:31 PM

An oldie but a goodie most of the kids here probably have never heard of.

A Scratch in the Sky - The Cryan Shames

This is a near perfect album from the late 60's. I'm guessing 1967. The Cryan Shames were very talented with fantasic harmonies and were pretty good musicians. They were (at the time) compared favorably to The Beatles but due to some internal problems never really had the opportunity to take off and were done after 3 albums. This one was their masterpiece. The "hit" on this particular album was "It could be we're in love" which is a great song. But their non-hits are really great and extremely well written and performed.

I really wish these guys could have stuck together and done more. But the little they did accomplish I still cherish and listen to regularly.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when you listen to Starcastle now, do you still anticipate the "break" in the one song as the 8-track changes tracks? I know every time I listen to the Cars first album, I expect "Dont cha Stop" to fade out in the middle and start back up again after a loud KERCHUNK. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Yes! Every album I hear now that I used to listen to on 8 track does that to me.
I subscribe to Napster To Go and I have been "rediscovering" stuff I used to listen to lately and I have noticed that very thing. I was actually going to mention it in the post but figured no one would have any idea what I was talking about.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:49 PM

How about Souvenirs By Dan Fogelberg

I used to listen to this album a lot after I first moved out of my parents house and had more "alone time" than I was ever used to. It's just filled with really great songs that take me back to that time when life was so much simpler
I played in a lot of bands when I was younger and the last one I was in did this song at my request.
The Gambler
None of the guys had ever heard it before but when I played it for them they liked it, we learned it and played it every gig we did and people loved it. We were lucky to have 4 guys in the band who could sing well and the harmonies were just fantastic.

Here's another one:
Hermit of Mink Hollow - Todd Rundgren

This was another one of Todd's albums that he did all by himself. Writing, playing every instrument and all the vocals are him. Filled with really great tunes that I really enjoy
Can we still be friends
Just for fun
Onomatopoia
Old 10-06-2007, 07:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Inspired by Irieguy's post...Post a favorite album/CD you absolutely love but you don't think anyone else in The Lounge has even heard of before. And give us a description, not just a list! tell us WHY you love it and include links if possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maria McKee never managed her career well after Lone Justice (or during her Lone Justice days for that matter) but her first two solo albums have been favorites for almost two decades. Maybe it's because I've seen her three times; she is simply lovely to the eyes and ears.

Here's a link to her self titled first album on Amazon. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the clips are decent quality; hope that is true across the board these days.

Here's a live clip of Panic Beach from that first album.

Another live clip of Maria on Chevy Chase's show from her second solo album

~ Rick

PS You Tube is sort of addictive even for 53 year olds so I couldn't stop myself from watching and posting this wild performance by Maria from her Lone Justice days. Sorry Dom if I went off topic but this is the way she was the first two times I saw her in the eighties.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:21 AM

Wow! I'm a huge Maria McKee fan and have everything she's ever released...from the first Lone Justice album to her latest solo work. Love, love love her...I've also seen her twice - once in the early days with LJ and once during the Life is Sweet tour.

Nice pull!
Old 10-06-2007, 07:22 AM

Bill Mallonee of the Vigilantes of Love has had about 4 record contracts fall out from under him, including one around 1999 that Buddy Miller produced called audible sigh with Emmylou Harris singing on it -

video for said Emmylou track is here - (I now own that Gretsch in the video, BTW and the 50's fender tweed amp)

both Audible Sign and Summershine were records lost at the end of VOL's existance - Summershine was released around 9/11 and got totally lost - it's now available for FREE download track by track from Bill's online music site at VOLsounds or billmallonee.net - 2nd album down - Audible sigh was more alt-country whereas summershine had some really good pop sounds on it -

Bill's an incredible lyricist - Edwin Mccain covered a couple tunes on the last album - last I heard he was living gig to gig and subbing as a janitor at a school in between tours - total waste of a great songwriter

RB
Old 10-06-2007, 10:51 AM

"Thud" by Kevin Gilbert is a fantastic album that nobody I have ever met has heard of.

He hung himself jerking off before he had the opportuninty to hit it big.