Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 05:59 PM

Default Non US players.. bankroll and exchange rate question

So right now, $1US = approx $1CDN. One year ago, I think it was something like $1US = $1.20CDN. Now, lets say you cashed out $5000 US one year ago, which equals to $6000 CDN. At this moment, that $6000CDN is now equal to $6000US. That extra $1000US that was gained from the US dollar weakining, would you count that towards your bankroll?

This could apply to any non US player.

Might be a stupid question but w/e.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Non US players.. bankroll and exchange rate question

Whether you count it towards you bankroll depends on what your bankroll needs to be.

What's important is that you don't count it towards your winrate. You've made money on finanical transaction completely seperate from poker.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:18 PM

I have the same thing in US Dollars / GB Pounds and I wrestled with this problem for quite a while before finally deciding it was all arbitrary anyway. Now I just keep the count in USD, because that's what 95% of my play is in, and ignore currency fluctuations FWIW. I know how much money I actually have, which is a more practical bankroll indicator than how much I have won anyway. Hope this helps.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:40 PM

this is what you do, short usd$ to hedge some risk.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:43 PM

I have a related question, and would love to hear some feedback from any 2+2ers who have an opinion (and please tell me where the best forum to ask this is if not here):

Does anyone think the $ is going to rise at all anytime soon? My poker roll is in $ and in Neteller. Does anybody think there is a reason to wait before cashing some out (I would have to convert it to my local currency)?
Old 10-05-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone think the $ is going to rise at all anytime soon? My poker roll is in $ and in Neteller. Does anybody think there is a reason to wait before cashing some out (I would have to convert it to my local currency)?

[/ QUOTE ]

You wish to play the markets?

The way I look at it: if it was easily knowable that a certain currency will go down soon, pro traders would have already capitalized and it already would have gone down. I think they call this efficient market theory?

I doubt you or me or any other newb will be able to make anything but a 0 EV decision when it comes to deciding when to cash out. I recommend cashing out now, as it reduces variance (assuming you don't like variance)

edit: best forum to ask is the Business, Finance, and Investing forum. It's prob been asked there before. I'm guessing they'll tell you what I told you
Old 10-05-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You wish to play the markets?

The way I look at it: if it was easily knowable that a certain currency will go down soon, pro traders would have already capitalized and it already would have gone down. I think they call this efficient market theory?

I doubt you or me or any other newb will be able to make anything but a 0 EV decision when it comes to deciding when to cash out. I recommend cashing out now, as it reduces variance (assuming you don't like variance)

edit: best forum to ask is the Business, Finance, and Investing forum. It's prob been asked there before. I'm guessing they'll tell you what I told you

[/ QUOTE ]

statistical indicators suggest at least 4 or 5 cents of the current CAD push is speculative momentum which will correct shortly.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:59 PM

Thank you. Good advice.

(As a side not, I also get paid in dollars, so I was wondering about more than my poker roll. But your point is just as valid. Still, it does seem strange to me that no one really knows how long or how deep the US$ will continue to dwindle. But you're right, if they knew they would've acted...but then does that mean that since it hasn't already started going up then it's not likely to? :P)
Old 10-05-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
statistical indicators suggest at least 4 or 5 cents of the current CAD push is speculative momentum which will correct shortly.

[/ QUOTE ]
alright SMARTY PANTS, why aren't the pros capitalizing on this?

or in other words, what are you trying to say?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:30 PM

US dollar will recover as soon as Bush is out of office.