Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 07:23 AM

Default Re: Really, honestly, how can you believe that old book???

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Many fictional works are entirely possible. That is not a reason to believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-30-2007, 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you want to compare apples to apples, you should look at theist scientists versus nontheist scientists.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

Okay, you got me. Let's compare...

I cite Michael Behe. Your counter??

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the underlying assumption was credible scientists, not those that discredit themselves publicly, like M Behe when acting as expert (???) witness in a court of law in an infamous case that he would have lost single handedly, even if it had not been a lost cause from the start.!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:37 PM

i think its weird how people who believe in the bible are smart enough to function and be logical in other respects. like some of the posters on here argue about how the christian god is the truth and their arguments are retarded but their grammar and spelling is flawless. and people like al sharpton or various other christians who seem clever enough in arguments and sometimes objectively win arguments against atheists--they seem smart and logical, but then how can they believe this garbage? and the leaders of the intelligent design school who are lawyers and doctors and they can tie their own shoes and stuff and look presentable at debates... it doesnt add up.

its like people who own their own businesses or maybe they are like smart IT professionals and they are in the sports book talking about how the reason you cant have cell phones in the book is because some of the games arent live and they dont want you calling people on the east coast where the games already happened. or this guy at the poker table the other day who presumably had a job and knew how to shave and speak english and stuff was telling me how he only played single-deck BJ because, you see, there are fewer cards like 5s and 6s that can screw up your hand in a single deck, and that overcomes the house only paying 6:5 on blackjack. and there are those people who are great at chemistry but cant spell or use a computer. alright, im done.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:18 PM

Well, to be perfectly honest they are not alone. A lot of people from the opposite school of thought exhibit the same flaws, it is just that it is sometimes more 'hidden' because the theories they wield as arguments have greater scientific weight and hence seem far more respectable.

However you twist and turn it, at some point base belief is going to colour most people with a fair degree of bias.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:53 PM

Still, it's hard to deny that a lot of smart people go all frothy where politics and religion are concerned. Oh, and sex.