Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Playing weak second pairs out of the blinds

you can c/c here if you are playing a very aggro lag or maniac and you are just trying to take a cheap line to SD. But against most players you need to donk the flop or c/r. Lead the turn. If not you are going to get a lot of people betting the flop with 6+ outs, taking a free card on the turn, and then either value betting you or checking behind when they hit on the river.

when you go passive on the flop in this spot you let opponents play perfectly against you. If you get aggressive you make the most from their drawing hands, can get away saving a bet if they pop you and you can safely lay down third pair, and you often deny them a free card river that leaves you in a tough spot as to whether to b/f or c/c on the end.

you guys that are saying to take a c/c line please come sit at my tables.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

when you go passive on the flop in this spot you let opponents play perfectly against you.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think if you CR the flop you allow your opponent to play perfectly.

and for saying b/f the turn - against what percentage of opponents in 6 max can and would you do this consistently against? especially against the retarded fsdr's i see donks make whenever they turn some kind of draw?

lead the flop or c/c. both are fine. c/r is bad.

ps - dont challenge twoplustwoers to your tables. the vast majority are not +EV.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:19 PM

OP, there's more than one way to play this hand well. It all depends on your opponent. Is he the kind who will bet anything and everything on all streets then pick a passive line and call down. Will he bet the flop pretty much always and call down lightly then I like a flop c/r followed by b/b. If villain is unknown I'd bet/bet/bet here since I don't think you can make any big mistakes playing this way.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

when you go passive on the flop in this spot you let opponents play perfectly against you.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think if you CR the flop you allow your opponent to play perfectly.

and for saying b/f the turn - against what percentage of opponents in 6 max can and would you do this consistently against? especially against the retarded fsdr's i see donks make whenever they turn some kind of draw?

lead the flop or c/c. both are fine. c/r is bad.

ps - dont challenge twoplustwoers to your tables. the vast majority are not +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

jezuz wrong time of the month?

obviously if the villain is going to play super lag (ie making a lot of turn raises on scare cards) then taking a passive line to SD is fine. I think I mentioned that before.

My point is that if a guy limps in chances are he is pretty passive, and if you just c/c this down you are letting them play perfectly. They bet when they are ahead of your range. Take free cards when they want to. And leave you questioning whether you should b/f or c/c the river.

And certainly there are going to be times when you get raised on the turn and you call down anyway. Those are the kind of players that you should have stats or a read on and you make the call. But more often then not if you are betting with third pair on the big streets and you get raised by a passive player, especially at .5/1 stakes, you aren't good.

and I wasn't challenging folks to sit at my tables. I was making a point that it is much easier to play against a bunch of passives then a bunch of LAGs.

IMO donk > c/r > c/c. I agree that c/r'ing isn't the best, but c/c'ing is worse assuming that villain isn't a bad LAG or maniac.

also calm down a little bit. I'll be the first to admit that I make plenty of mistakes, and I've been wrong many times before. But there is no need to take things the wrong way and get all riled up.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My point is that if a guy limps in chances are he is pretty passive, and if you just c/c this down you are letting them play perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without a read I always assume anyone that open-limps in the CO is a passive and play accordingly.