Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 09-17-2007, 01:20 PM

Default AZK\'s log

Decided to start this to help motivate, and so people can tell me what I'm doing right/wrong. I'm starting the bill starr 5x5 and actually taking note of everything I do (i.e. writing it down) so that I don't have a fog when I get to the gym and waste time doing weights that are too easy or hard. I'm also going to start this intermittent fasting, and see how that goes...

Last meal last night was at 730PM, first meal today was at 1230PM consisted of 2 cups of chicken salad, a banana, 2 tomatoes and 2 cucumbers...surprisingly enough i wasn't hungry this morning, i normally would eat 4-5 eggs and a banana for breakfast....

Gonna go to the gym and start the monday 5x5 program, which will be:

Squat 5x5 fixed
Bench 5x5 ramp
Row 5x5 ramp

Not sure if the order matters, guess Ill start with the squat for a change, interesting that it says not to ramp the squat, but you should ramp the bench and row.... i'll probably pick 185 as my set squatting weight, I know I can do more but I haven't been pushing it lately and I don't want to start lifting too heavy into the program, I'll probably also peak at 185 on bench which is close to my 1RM and I have no idea where to start on rows as I've never done a pendlay row before...might go super light this week on that just to get the motion down...

Oh yeah, I'm about 5'8" and currently weigh 176 lbs.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: AZK\'s log

I feel like a vagina

Built up to 185 on bench, could have done a little bit more, but didnt want to push it first week in

Couldn't squat more than 160...wtf, I'd really like this to improve the most.

Built up to 135 on the bent over row...

How come you only dl once a week in this program but squat 2x?
Old 09-17-2007, 05:49 PM

We're almost the exact same size now.

Heavy DLs put a lot of CNS strain on your body and IIRC they're pretty brutal on your lower back for most people. The program I'm on has me doign squat 3 days a week with a single DL day. The day they overlap has a low squat intensity/volume though.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:26 PM

Really suck at standing military presses...i don't know why, I also lean back when I push the bar up....that can't be right, can it? People talk about some lean, but I think I am leaning too much, also how far down are most of you going? full rom? arms parallel to floor? what?

Standing military press:
2x5x45
4x5x95

Pullups
5x5 @ bw (pretty sick considering this time last year I could only do 1 pull up. I guess this just goes to show you what happens if you put your mind to something and do it almost everyday.)

DL

2x5x135
3x5x185
Old 09-19-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really suck at standing military presses...i don't know why, I also lean back when I push the bar up....that can't be right, can it?

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to get your head out of the way to fire the bar straight up. I see some folks press around their heads (and I think Sam's last press video was a bit like that)-- it makes them much less strong and aggressive on the bar.

[ QUOTE ]
People talk about some lean, but I think I am leaning too much, also how far down are most of you going? full rom? arms parallel to floor? what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Arms parallel to floor? full rom? I don't know what you are talking about. And it is kind of tough to say whether you are doing something "too much" or "not enough" based on a description.

When the press was an olympic lift the lifters fired their heads back to create an explosive bounce out of the front rack, then leaned far back, recruiting as much muscle as they could, and then popped their head back through violently forward. It all seemed to create momentum on the bar. The problem was that no one felt confident whether they were cheating-- so they may not be a good model, and yet provide something to learn from...

Great job on the pull-ups.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:02 PM

I guess what I am asking about is how far down do I lower the bar? Chin height? Chest height? the original rack height?
Old 09-19-2007, 03:05 PM

Return to your front rack, or something close to it. You don't need to pause, but touch and go-- at least that is what I do. I don't have a very good front rack because of flexibility, but even if I did, I think I'd do it the same.

edit: I just watched one of the Rippetoe vids. And the folks are doing it like I do it-- it's not exactly the front rack, as they keep their elbows "loaded" and ready to drive the bar up, but the bar goes down to the clavicle/front delts.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:34 PM

shemp gave great advice previously. I think it was something along the lines of "stick your head through the window". I think a good number of people also use somewhat of a dynamic bench press form which isn't so hot. I typically just lean back a bit to get my head out of the way and then try to get everything in line while I press it out.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:21 AM

Why don't you target muscles rather than hitting the same ones each day? This allows muscles time to recover.

My workout consists of the following by day:
Mon: Chest & bis
Tues: Legs & shoulders
Weds: Back & tris
Thurs: abs & cardio
Fri-Sun: make up for missed days
Old 09-20-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When the press was an olympic lift the lifters fired their heads back to create an explosive bounce out of the front rack, then leaned far back, recruiting as much muscle as they could, and then popped their head back through violently forward. It all seemed to create momentum on the bar. The problem was that no one felt confident whether they were cheating-- so they may not be a good model, and yet provide something to learn from...

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, that is exactly why the press is no longer an Olympic lift. So a little lean is probably ok but the farther back you get, the more other muscles you are recruiting. I dont see that as a necessarily bad thing, it just depends on what you are looking for from that press, and I suspect that most people are trying to isolate muscles doing presses, and not to get a compound lift type effect. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]