Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 09-11-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Big straight draw OOP, board pairs turn

Back at baby stakes trying to build a roll on Stars... (hey, this is FUN rather than stressful!). What do you think of this line? Good? Spew?

I flop a nice 17-way straight draw on a rainbow board and lead out 3-way in the limped pot, get one caller. I'm fairly new to the table and these are basically unknowns.

I could just give up on the turn, but I because I could easily have top two pair that has just boated up, and bet smaller to look like I want to get called - people will fold with draws very often when the board pairs.

I could also just give up on the river when he calls the turn, but most people will be raising top two on the turn there, and if he had a set he'd be raising the flop, so I don't put him on a strong hand - maybe something like mine.

I purposely made the river bet small both so that it's cheap for me and he folds drawing hands to a small bet anyway, and because half pot looks more like the kind of "call me" bet that you might make with tens full. But maybe I'm over-thinking and it would work better just potting the river with both bluffs and real hands here, not sure.

Would this line work at higher stakes?

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($46.35)
MP ($34.80)
Button ($15.45)
Hero ($70.50)
BB ($31.30)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.75) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.75</font>, BB folds, MP calls $0.75.

Turn: ($2.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, MP calls $1.50.

River: ($5.25) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.5</font>
Old 09-12-2007, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Big straight draw OOP, board pairs turn

bad bet river
bet more or fold
Old 09-12-2007, 04:50 AM

i think this is fine, although when im playing at micro stakes i tend to just pot all the time

on the river im happy to bet 70% of the pot to make it look like a value bet - villan could easily be in with 789x here and if you check and he decided to bluff you cant call with a better hand
Old 09-12-2007, 08:00 AM

I think turn is good. River is a strange spot where the looser he is the more you should want to bluff him here, ie you should only bluff if you think he can have got here with a draw. And even then you might be best just to check since you have some showdown value against missed draws.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:31 PM

He tanked the river and called with AAxx with Spades... Maybe I should have made it more expensive.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think turn is good. River is a strange spot where the looser he is the more you should want to bluff him here, ie you should only bluff if you think he can have got here with a draw. And even then you might be best just to check since you have some showdown value against missed draws.

[/ QUOTE ]
showdown value with aj high? i doubt it.
just check the turn there is no need to triple barrel here oop in a unraised pot with a crappy straight draw.