Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Re: which street

you are bet/folding the river im guessing?

just out of curiosity did you end up winning the hand?
Old 09-06-2007, 12:45 PM

river was bet/fold, and i'll post results after more feedback...

- do we ever fold out a better flush on that river from the button, maybe 9c9s or even JcTh? - i assume the middle player is calling very lightly, which may make it more difficult for button to overcall with a mid flush... the problem with that thinking is that button knows middle doesnt fold and he closes the action

to me it seems as though turn and river are most awkward, would we rather bet/fold or check/fold turn given that we played preflop and flop as i did... and would we just c/f river or c/c depending on who bets?
Old 09-06-2007, 01:16 PM

I'm with MoM. Pre-flop 3-betting eliminates some of the leverage you want to have with this hand; specifically, it eliminates your ability to be the first to react to the pre-flop aggressor. How much easier is this hand to play if you call pre-flop and then can check-raise the flop that you got (facing intermediate players with two cold for protection purposes, while gaining far more clear information about button's hand), rather than playing it the way you did?

As it stands, the pre-flop three-bet commited you (mentally at least) to the flop bet, which implied the three-bet, and so on and so forth...
Old 09-06-2007, 01:27 PM

Is it too weak to just fold PF?

Are there metagame considerations? It seems like if button is often isolating the limper really light, we should let go of some of our more marginal hands to encourage him to continue doing it, then we can punish him later when we have a better hand and position on him (and we'll have position every time we're not SB).
Old 09-06-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it too weak to just fold PF?

Are there metagame considerations? It seems like if button is often isolating the limper really light, we should let go of some of our more marginal hands to encourage him to continue doing it, then we can punish him later when we have a better hand and position on him (and we'll have position every time we're not SB).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that with 77 I want to be involved in the pot, particularly considering both the limper and the isolater may have weak holdings. Blind structure is also worth considering: I'm not sure how the Canterbury blinds play, but in a $20/$30 blind structure, the improved effective odds from the bigger small blind pushes this to a comfortable call for me.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
river was bet/fold, and i'll post results after more feedback...

- do we ever fold out a better flush on that river from the button, maybe 9c9s or even JcTh? - i assume the middle player is calling very lightly, which may make it more difficult for button to overcall with a mid flush... the problem with that thinking is that button knows middle doesnt fold and he closes the action

to me it seems as though turn and river are most awkward, would we rather bet/fold or check/fold turn given that we played preflop and flop as i did... and would we just c/f river or c/c depending on who bets?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually made a post that this might be the only debatable street, but I dont see it so I guess it didnt go through. Anyway, you might get bb to make a bad call thereby forcing out a better flush, but if 2p2er is thinking he wont be able to put you on the A or K since you checked the turn w/ no reason to fear the flush so expect to get called w/ Q,J and maybe Tc. If I found myself in this spot I think I would fire the river for sure.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:42 PM

the game is a 3/2 chip structure with a passive bb, so i do think folding is out... but flat calling is certainly not
Old 09-06-2007, 01:57 PM

Ah, I missed that SB is 2/3 of a bet - nevermind.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:40 PM

to mitch and others who like betting the river,
what are the chances that both of the other guys in this hand can't beat the 7-hi flush? What are the chances one of them will bet a worse hand? I think c/f is best play there.

I think pf is an easy 3bet and the flop is an easy non-3bet. The turn is sorta tricky though...
Old 09-06-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems like if button is often isolating the limper really light, we should let go of some of our more marginal hands to encourage him to continue doing it, then we can punish him later when we have a better hand and position on him (and we'll have position every time we're not SB).

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure this is wrong. Even if we assume this guy has overly wide isolating range AND will immediately return to more optimal pf strategy after a single 3-bet by us, you will still be very lucky to find a situation with more than 2/3 sb value than in this spot. Remember this is fullring live so you may see this situation come up only 5 times during this session anyhow.