Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 04:20 PM

Default Smooth calling river with nut straight 3-way

Is there any point in raising this river? At the time I'm thinking I'm better off trying to get a call from the third player, because the levoo either has the nuts or is bluffing. I don't think either will call a raise without the nuts.

Also, does anyone like a bet on the turn, or is checking behind like I did superior?

Omaha Hi $1-$1 PL (real money)

Seat 1: 1 old shep ($129.50 in chips)
Seat 3: levoo333 ($170.20 in chips)
Seat 4: Hero [ J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ] ($147.25 in chips)
Seat 5: villev555 ($93.20 in chips)
Seat 7: bkkdude ($38.00 in chips)
Seat 9: Pelinainen2 ($97.00 in chips)
ANTES/BLINDS
1 old shep posts blind ($1), levoo333 posts blind ($1).

PRE-FLOP
Hero bets $4, villev555 folds, bkkdude folds, Pelinainen2 folds, 1 old shep calls $3, levoo333 calls $3.

FLOP ($12) [board cards T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
1 old shep checks, levoo333 checks, Hero bets $7, 1 old shep calls $7, levoo333 calls $7.

TURN ($33) [board cards T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
1 old shep checks, levoo333 checks, Hero checks.

RIVER ($33) [board cards T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
1 old shep checks, levoo333 bets $25, Hero calls $25
Old 08-28-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Smooth calling river with nut straight 3-way

Checking behind on turn is fine. You dont want to be raised off nut flush draw. I cant figure many hands that shepp will overcall with on river. If levoo333 will always fold bluffs to the minimum raise here then calling is fine because you save money on rake when he is not bluffing. That saying, if he ever calls with less than the nuts here you should raise for value.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:05 PM

call. I think there's a greater chance of getting a call from old shep than levoo calling a raise without the nut straight. and you'll save on rake.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:08 PM

it hardly matters but calling has got to be better.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:01 PM

I like the way this was played. Except I prefer betting more on the flop otherwise I don't think you get much value out of a cbet and a chance to double barrel if you get it HU to the turn.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:30 PM

Please don't just call. Old shep isn't overcalling here unless he's a complete donk, what can he have the way this hand played out that can call us? Really think he overcalls more often than Levo calls a raise to $55?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please don't just call. Old shep isn't overcalling here unless he's a complete donk, what can he have the way this hand played out that can call us? Really think he overcalls more often than Levo calls a raise to $55?

[/ QUOTE ]

Levo probably calls a raise to $55 very often---for the split.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:02 PM

I suppose it's possible Levoo could call a raise with J9, but he'd have to be a pretty big donk and there aren't too many J9 hands that call on the flop.

If I just call, it screams that I don't have the straight. levoo could very well just be taking a stab since he figures to pick up the pot if I don't have the straight, after Old Shep checks. So I don't think an overcall with less than the nuts is terrible here.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:25 PM

Not sure I understand the line of thinking that one random opponent is only going to call a raise with the nuts, but another one will call with plenty of hands despite the fact that two players in front of him have basically all the good cards. Please explain what possible hand Old Shep can call with after Levo bets AND you call. It's not about him not having the nuts, it's about what he can have that plays in this fashion.

He doesn't have AA or TT here, that is pretty certain. He would have to have some bizarre hand combos to reach the river with non straight KKxx or QQxx, and you really can't think he will overcall $25 on the river with worse. Therefore, raising has to be correct against Levo, seems a far better chance he will look you up light. What leads you to believe that Levo has only a bluff or the goods here?
Old 08-28-2007, 11:29 PM

this is such a pointless discussion. this situation doesn't come up very often, and when it does, you will almost never get any more money no matter which way you play it.