Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

does it use the premise that there is less gravity than on earth? that would affect the weight
Old 08-29-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The game is better than i expected based on the preview videos and screenshots i had seen.

I do have one problem with this game and also with all the 3d metroids. It's hard for me to explain, but I don't get a sense of the heaviness of objects and characters. When a huge boss jumps in the air and lands, it feels like he might as well weigh 10 pounds. Same goes for fighting the space pirates, they don't seem to have any weight to them, during gameplay, as well as during the cut scenes. Also falling structures, beams, etc... Something about the animation being slightly too fast or the physics of the game engine slightly off, i'm not sure.

One game that I felt the opposite about, where the enemies really felt like they had a lot of weight to them was residen evil 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel that too, but it's not the first game. I think Half-Life was similar. To me, it felt like things were sliding around in space more than they normally would...

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say that Half-Life was an example of a game that did this better than MP3. The environmental effects and mood in HL were killer, esp. for the day. Sure, I suppose you could say that bullets followed linear instead of parabolic trajectories, and maybe the odd crate you had to push around was a little too light, but most of the scripted things with pipes falling and walls crumbling and that giant blue thing lumbering after you looked plenty heavy.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
does it use the premise that there is less gravity than on earth? that would affect the weight

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not really a feeling of having less gravity than earth, it's more of a feeling of a physics engine seems to be not quite tweaked properly.

You could say the same thing about animated movies. e.g. for me pixar movies tend to have an incredible sense of weight and heaviness.

BTW dont' get me wrong, I'm only 30 minutes into metroid and i love it, this is my one main beef with the game.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The game is better than i expected based on the preview videos and screenshots i had seen.

I do have one problem with this game and also with all the 3d metroids. It's hard for me to explain, but I don't get a sense of the heaviness of objects and characters. When a huge boss jumps in the air and lands, it feels like he might as well weigh 10 pounds. Same goes for fighting the space pirates, they don't seem to have any weight to them, during gameplay, as well as during the cut scenes. Also falling structures, beams, etc... Something about the animation being slightly too fast or the physics of the game engine slightly off, i'm not sure.

One game that I felt the opposite about, where the enemies really felt like they had a lot of weight to them was residen evil 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel that too, but it's not the first game. I think Half-Life was similar. To me, it felt like things were sliding around in space more than they normally would...

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say that Half-Life was an example of a game that did this better than MP3. The environmental effects and mood in HL were killer, esp. for the day. Sure, I suppose you could say that bullets followed linear instead of parabolic trajectories, and maybe the odd crate you had to push around was a little too light, but most of the scripted things with pipes falling and walls crumbling and that giant blue thing lumbering after you looked plenty heavy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right, it's been a long time. I just remember slippery.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:08 AM

goddamnit how do I activate the first power generator....all i can figure out to do is fall down the chasm
Old 08-30-2007, 04:13 AM

<font color="white"> Double jump across the chasm. Twist the thingy to get the generator to drop. Go back to the other side of the room and face the generator. On your left is a computer terminal and the very far left of that has a palm reader. use it. </font>
Old 08-30-2007, 04:59 AM

just started playing, wow this game kicks ass. i never played either of the gamecube metroids so i didnt know what to expect. the controls are on par with playing a FPS with a keyboard and mouse, WAY better than any other console FPS
Old 08-30-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
goddamnit how do I activate the first power generator....all i can figure out to do is fall down the chasm

[/ QUOTE ]

It took me a little while to realize you actually do have to kill all of the annoying little sentry drones.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:29 PM

The only thing that pisses me off about the game is when you get stuck because you can't figure out what the hell you're supposed to do. I spent half an hour wandering aimlessly in one part because I kept overlooking a small crack in the wall that's impervious to charge shots and missiles, but breakable by your morphball blast. I would've been stuck there forever if I hadn't gone to gamefaqs.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:40 PM

I'm kinda figuring out that the name of the game is "Scan EVERYTHING." And really, that's pretty reminiscent of the old school Metroids, too. You wander about aimlessly for a while, think you're stuck, and then you find some concealed passage that has no obvious indication that it should be there. Some in Super Metroid don't even show up w/ the xray scope. At least in the old Metroids, there were usually multiple ways to destroy things, or if there weren't, it was really obvious what you needed to use to blast them.

I actually think they were pretty clever to include a measure of how much you've scanned in your log book. It at least does something to turn the tedium of scanning everything into a game of wanting to have scanned absolutely everything. Still, I think I know what passage you're talking about. When I scanned it, it said the thing had a high concentration of Tiberium or Trillium or Tarragon or something, like that should mean something to me. Apparently it means "able to be blasted by bombs, and only bombs."