Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 01:41 PM

Default Ask Parallax about powerlifting

Thought this might be a fun post to generate some discussion on powerlifting, which I don't see too much of on here. I am far from an "elite" level powerlifter, but I enjoy it a lot and thought others might be interested in learning more. If anyone has anything to contribute or wants to ask me something, hop right in.

I used to be more into bodybuilding, but never had the desire to take anabolics and realized that natural bodybuilding is basically pointless. So at that point I started training with a powerlifter at my gym trying to get stronger. I specialize in bench, but plan on deadlifting at my next meet. Anyways, I'd like to see this section of 2+2 have more threads so let us gogogogogo.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Ask Parallax about powerlifting

height? weight? max lifts? equipment? diet? typical training strategy?
Old 07-06-2007, 02:29 PM

I'm 5'11", 210 lbs. My current bench max is around 300, but I'm hoping to get 315 by this fall for a meet. I lift raw except for Inzer wrist wraps on the heavy stuff. Bench/squat/deadlift suits seem silly to me, as they are essentially artificial means of lifting the weight. I feel like a lifter should train for at least 4-5 years before considering this gear. At least try to push yourself as far as you can raw before resorting to gear.
Unlike most powerlifters, I actually want women to be attracted to me and don't look like a grizzly bear who swallowed a pony keg.

My diet is more along the standard BB diet. High protein, moderate carbs (will boost when training gets very heavy), healthy fats. Usually try to eat 5-6 times a day without going overboard. I would estimate that I am at 12-13% BF currently, slight ab definition. Training obviously depends on when your meet is, but usually start about 12-14 weeks out with 3x8 and increase weights every week until you aren't getting 8 reps anymore, then continue to bump up weight weekly and drop the reps as you go.

By the time your meet comes you are training singles and doubles and you should be primed for a 1 rep competition max. On bench, we also do illegal wide benching, close grip, board work for lockouts, as well as bands and chains for lockout. These are usually rotated every couple weeks to keep things fresh. Assistance work is rotator cuff exercises, heavy dips, skullcrushers. I could go on forever, but you get the idea....If anyone wants a general overview of what powerlifting is and the overall goals let me know.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:40 PM

whats your dead and squat?

and you are wrong about the gear, it should not be used as a crutch, and most training should not be used with it, but you should learn how to use bench shirts, wraps, and suits from teh beginning, and pratice with them leading up tot a comp.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:45 PM

I think you misread what I wrote. I compete raw, if you are planning to compete shirted then yes of course you need to train with them ahead of time. However, someone who is just beginning in powerlifting doesn't need gear yet. They should be very competent in all the lifts raw before worrying about their Inzer Rage X double layer shirt being too tight, yada yada etc etc...

Deadlift sucks right now and am embarrassed to say it. Sad to say I haven't been deadlifting very long as my foray into powerlifting is relatively new. I don't train squats for powerlifting currently.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:46 PM

how can you enter a PL meet w/ no squat? do they have meets where not all the lifts are performed?
Old 07-06-2007, 02:48 PM

why would you compete raw? that doesn't make any sense to me.

also, training 3x8 to maximize powerlifting, is pretty meh. I do it once a year to shake things up, and go 8 to 10 reps, but if your main goal is to lift heavy weights, I dont like going over 5 reps

you seemed to have glossed over your actual training regime, you should post your exact plan of attack week by week starting 3 months out if you want to help people out.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:55 PM

Guids,

Please take over this thread.

Signed,
Someone interested in powerlifting
Old 07-06-2007, 05:23 PM

I never intended for this thread to be about me, but more of a general discussion for people interested in learning about powerlifting. Apparently Goose doesn't think I'm qualified to discuss it, but whatever. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Guids, why does raw powerlifting not make sense to you? At my last meet, I would say over half the benchers were raw. Shirted benching is definitely not the norm except at the more elite levels. 3x8 is to establish baseline strength and then move up from there. I'll usually do 2-3 weeks of 3x8 especially if I'm just getting back into things, then drop the reps as the weight increases.

Do you powerlift Guids? I'd like to hear your take on things. Again, I wanted this thread to be an open discussion, so please share any knowledge with us. If you really want I can write out an entire program starting from 3 months out. Not at the moment though, don't have the time...I'll try later on tonight or tomorrow.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:24 PM

No offense to Parallax, but this thread is another example of why the "ask me" format doesn't work very well in this forum.