Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Worst Sopranos storylines.... (no spoilers)

My roommate and I were reflecting on The Sopranos finale tonight and rehashing some of our favorite character and plot arcs. The inevitable discussion of how strong this past season has been compared to the few before it was addressed and we discussed the plot arcs that we liked the least.

Mine:
1. Furio and Carmela
God god god, did I hate this. I loved Furio before this nonsense. His introduction to Jersey (beating the hell out of the whore house whore and shooting the debtor in the leg) was so awesome. He was seemingly a loyal badass mofo. And then Carmela? Really? Her? Just a frustrating storyline overall for me. I didnt find it realistic, interesting, or exciting. Plus it reduced one of the shows best characters to a pussywhipped ninny.

2. Vito goes gay
At first this was awesome/hilarious/interesting. But after awhile, cmon. I didn't care about Vito and Johnnycakes and motorcycles and firemen. The fallout that the Soprano crew had to face was mildly interesting but after seeing Chase so on top of his game these past 7 eps, I just get frustrated that we wasted so much time on Vito. I didn't need to know what he was doing while he was gone.

3. Divorce!
My roommate disagreed with me but I felt like the divorce storyline was boring and predictable. At no point was I remotely concerned about the marriage and thought it was completely inevitable they reconcile. My roommate gives it points for being a realistic scenario.

So, what storylines did you all dislike? What do you disagree with here?
Old 06-10-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Worst Sopranos storylines.... (no spoilers)

man, the divorce storyline was great imo, the acting was friggen amazing in the fight scene in the media room, it was a mirror image of my parents when I was younger.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:17 PM

g,
the acting was def def def fantastic.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:23 PM

Anything involving Janice. It would have been so awesome if Richie would have killed her instead.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anything involving Janice. It would have been so awesome if Richie would have killed her instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I hate Janice and have wanted her to die forever... but shes usually mixed up in interesting stuff. I just hate her.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I always hated janice and constantly wished for her to get offed, but i disagree, richie killing her would have been too simple a storyline. having her kill him was an awesome idea, those were some great scenes of tony taking care of it after.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:45 PM

you've chosen some long-term ones - I think there are some brutally bad episode choices out there.

1. That one with the older lady who was a friend of Junior's/his father's.

WTF was that? And she knew Kennedy too, or something? What in the world was that nonsense and why was it on the Sopranos?

2. The episode with Columbus Day/Native Americans

It had a Sopranos take which made it funny, but why did they ever think this was a good subject for a show? I understand Italian pride, but this was ridiculous - an excuse to discuss every trite view of racism.

3. Paulie's mom not being his mom

This was standard soap-opera style drama - creating a storyline out of nothing.

btw, I felt the Vito storyline was very interesting - in that it demonstrated how difficult it is to give up on the lifestyle even if there's every reason in the world to do so. On a poker website I feel like that storyline should be even more compelling. The long scenes in 'Vermont' were necessary to set up the inevitable return - that he just couldn't hack it in normal life.

Furio was a bad actor - but I hardly think he was a pussywhipped ninny. It was also meant to be a kind of counterpoint to Tony's love for the mob boss in Italy, I think.

The divorce was bad because of its inevitability in both senses - the separation and reconciliation. I feel like Chase didn't know he was doing this many seasons of the show; had it ended earlier, this storyline could've been very good.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:48 PM

Christopher going all Hollywood - dumb

Meadow dating that black kid - would never happen

Anything involving the spec house - boring

Paulies mother is really his aunt - who gives a [censored]
Old 06-10-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Christopher going all Hollywood - dumb

Meadow dating that black kid - would never happen

Anything involving the spec house - boring

Paulies mother is really his aunt - who gives a [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 06-10-2007, 04:59 PM

And the episode where Chris meets the rapper and has Hesch pay him royalties for his songs or whatever. That was just stupid.