Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Official 2007 NHL Offseason Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly, for 5M a yr bring in Gomez. He would break his career highs with the Rangers, just as Nylander has...

[/ QUOTE ]

Higher salary cap this year will likely result in inflated free agent signings. Gomez could get more then $6 million a year, so keeping Nylander at around $4 million may be better option.

...higher cap
"...Centers Chris Drury, Daniel Briere and Scott Gomez were estimated to command over $6 million per season in contract offers under a $47.5 million cap, but under a $52 million cap those offers could reach over $7 million per season..."
Old 06-08-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly, for 5M a yr bring in Gomez. He would break his career highs with the Rangers, just as Nylander has.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like, others have said. 5 million a year for Nylander would be too much. If they can get him for just a little more than what Straka earns (like 3.5m-ish) they should do it I think. Nylander really has been a bargain the last two years (making less than 2.5m per). Can't really blame him for seeking a bigger paycheck.

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: What is the point of signing Nylander for 3 years, if this might be Jagr's last?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't like it too much if the Rangers brought Nylander back with a deal longer than 2 years. Jagr will be back in 08-09 if he scores at least 84 points this season and the Rangers win another playoff series. Doable? Definitely. Guaranteed? Hardly.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:58 PM

I really feel if you are going to spend the money on any of these guys (Nylander, Drury, Gomez etc.) and they've given every indication they will, they are best off with Gomez.

I am sold on the fact that we cannot get Nylander at Straka money or any price such as the contract he already refused.

On a side note I would love to see the Rangers get Souray, but that is not going to happen.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NYR
Michael Nylander
Brendan Shanahan
Martin Straka

[/ QUOTE ]

Straka isn't a Free Agent. The Rangers signed him to a contract extension back in January through the 2007-2008 season.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All I know is... the Canucks started their transition, and this offseason I hope they finish it. I wish they could get rid of Naslund and Morrison and bring in some speedy forwards. Daniel Briere would be tasty!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to hate the Canucks if they get some offense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh, man, you said it. They will be devastating if they keep their defence together with Luongo for the next few years, and can manage to get hold of another scorer to help out Daniel Sedin.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All I know is... the Canucks started their transition, and this offseason I hope they finish it. I wish they could get rid of Naslund and Morrison and bring in some speedy forwards. Daniel Briere would be tasty!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Oooh, man, you said it. They will be devastating if they keep their defence together with Luongo for the next few years, and can manage to get hold of another scorer to help out Daniel Sedin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Briere would be fantastic. They also need another big mean forward who can skate (Bertuzzi without the baggage). I just PRAY they have nothing to do with Ryan Smyth. I hate that rat-faced douchebag with a passion.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Giguere is good but as others have noted he has benefited from a good defense. In addition he has also been some what inconsistent at times.

[/ QUOTE ]

When? People say that, but they never prove that...

[/ QUOTE ]

he has been inconsistent, last year playoffs is one example...

Giguere 05-06, 3-3, 3.40 GAA .864 SV%

Then Bryzgalov in the same playoffs was..
Bryzgalov 05-06, 6-4, 1.46 GAA .944 SV%

again, don't get me wrong, I think Giguere is a good goalie
but I question if he should get paid like a top 10/15 goalie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Giguere finished the season playing through a groin injury. Bryzgalov gave him some chance to rest when it was obvious it was affecting his play. Next.

His career playoff stats are sick. 31-13, 1.96 GAA, .929 SV%. There are tons of teams that could use that in the playoffs.

Also, not top 10-15 money? There aren't 10-15 better goalies right now. Regular season, and more importantly playoffs, he's easily in the top 10.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:19 PM

I'm hoping the Sharks can resign Rivet and Hannan. Rivet was stellar in his short stay. Please don't offer Guerin a dime.

I'm also hoping my dreams come true and they can package Bell with Toskala for someeeeeeething. DW has hinted that Marleau won't be traded... we are supposedly in the hunt for Drury, but I don't think we have enough money. DW will probably drive up the price though, like he did with Chara and some other dude. If Drury is picked up, it means JT or Marleau will be gone (hopefully not JT) when their contracts are up.

Wes, you're insane. Giguere has been a solid goalie throughout his career, yet people are always claiming retarded things like "inconsistency." He's definitely a top 10/15 goalie and should be paid accordingly.

I hope the new jerseys and logos are revealed at the draft!! The Sharks are apparently going to add orange in their jerseys, don't like the idea at all.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:10 PM

My mistake; I meant to put that I question if he would get paid like a top 10 goalie if he enters free agency (assuming he does not take an offer from the Ducks). Though, who knows what will happen in free agency. A team like Florida may realize that they made a huge mistake letting a franchise goalie go(Luongo) and may over pay to get a player like Giguere. He still has been inconsitent at times and still has benefited from a good defense and the overall team defensive system. These are not "retarded" claims.

I think the Washington Capitals may release a new jersey/logo... I heard it will be red/white/blue based. Hopefully it will not be a Rangers color scheme ripoff.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Briere would be fantastic. They also need another big mean forward who can skate (Bertuzzi without the baggage). I just PRAY they have nothing to do with Ryan Smyth. I hate that rat-faced douchebag with a passion.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT on Ryan Smyth