Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf

Old 04-30-2007, 08:52 PM

Default Re: LC: Beat: My clubs suck. w/ question

I've used fat shafts, for example. Awesome shaft, head was terrible. I've never played cast irons, always forged, so I guess I'm spoiled. Cast irons feel like poo to me.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:19 PM

My advice to you is to spend an extra hundo and buy something you will like and not want to replace in a few years. Don't spend the extra money for this years model, find a gently used set on e bay or something. Head to your local big box sporting goods store and take a few clubs in their cage and see what feels/looks good. Then go shoping for the best deal. Most of the time, our Sports Authority store has last years irons on sale for around $300(Taylor Made/Cleveland/sometimes Callaway and Nike).

Dude, if you are worried about the quality of your clubs, it will have an impact on your game. I doubt you will see much increase in yardage, but you might notice newer clubs will be easier to hit, so you will have less bad shots to deal with in your round.

.02 from another 100's guy. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2007, 12:29 AM

Haha. Thanks for your solid post benny. I tend to agree with you. The problem, of course, is going to be money. I'm tripling my loan debt for school so $300 for golf clubs seems both insignificant (to 30k) and unecessary (I suck anyway at golf)....

But I think your post is echoing my current sentiments. I'll have to see how my next few rounds go and make a decision in a couple weeks. I am definitely needing to shell out the $50 for galfin shoes.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:48 AM

you can find footjoys for $20, save the money for clubs
Old 05-01-2007, 01:30 AM

ghost, are those good for walking? i will almost exclusively be walking this summer and will want the ol 'sneaker type' golf shoes. no way i can use those old stiffy ones that i used to own (before i outgrew them a couple years ago). ? And are you talking internets? I didn't see any shoes at Dicks under $50.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:36 AM

I doubt they are gonna be always on sale for $20 but a friend of mine just got the sneaker type a few weeks ago for $20 locally. So I guess just check local shops for sales.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:47 PM

Here is my two cents about golf. I have played golf for 28 years and I am only 35. I started real young. Anyways if you are a 100's or high 90's shooter do this. Don't worry about an extra 10 yards. Figure out how to hit the ball in the fairway even if you only drive it off the tee 200 yards. Just keep the ball in the fairway.

Then spend 3/4 of your pratice time putting and chipping. Getting good at those two things will knock a ton off your score a lot more than 10 extra yards on your drive.

If you are 225 out on a par 4 for your 2nd shot. Just take a 7 iron and put it down there 140-150 yards. Chip up and make a solid bogey and sometimes a par.

Start worrying about distance when you shoot regulary in the 80s.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:44 PM

ding!