Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to See 66's follow-up
Yes 14 70.00%
Who cares 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2007, 08:28 PM

Default AC and power

I was going to make this a very long and well thought out post but basically I'm lazy.

Given: We have guns and money in our society.

Given: We want to move to AC society, but we theoretically still have guns and money (or wealth, if we decide to abandon the dollar... we still have things worth something to people).

How exactly are we to stop some group from having the same control over people that governments tend to now? The problem, as I see it, is that the government does NOT have a monopoly on coercion. It has a legal monopoly, but that means little without the power to enforce those laws, which by definition is the power necessary to coerce in the first place. Laws by themselves are meaningless. In some parts of the country/world, violent mobs have more power and more ability to coerce and "tax" citizens than the governments which theoretically rule over them. What is to stop this from happening in AC?

Just in the interest of intellectual honesty, I should say up front that I believe that strong culturally reinforced rules are necessary to some extent. I don't think AC people disagree, but I take issue with some of their cultural norms (i.e. libertarian morality).
Old 04-10-2007, 08:39 PM

Default Re: AC and power

Step 1: we take the government d&*k out of our mouths.

by libertarian morality what do you mean? link?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:02 PM

At least there will be one less mob to forcibly coerce and tax us.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

by libertarian morality what do you mean? link?

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Until another one comes, sure.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Until another one comes, sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no Acist but i definitely support the A part. So in this scenario use your guns and keep the new group from messing with you. Then live however you want.

Of course, as they say, AC is no utopia. However I doubt that any single group could ever rise to the level of omnipotent power that the state wields today. The state has had the benefit of thousands of years of evolution and complacency with which to establish a perceived legitimate power base. Even in the police state that is America there is no way the government could control the population except by the population's consent.

How would a private mob ever gain more power than the state? Seems impossible to me
Old 04-10-2007, 09:12 PM

The mob doesn't need to be omnipotent, just powerful enough to affect you and your's. ACists will of course claim that everyone will ban together to ousts the mob. I'm skeptical of that to say the least.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So in this scenario use your guns and keep the new group from messing with you. Then live however you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

What happens to the tanks? Planes? Does everyone need to have a few rocket launchers in their house to enjoy freedom?

[ QUOTE ]

Even in the police state that is America there is no way the government could control the population except by the population's consent.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Consent" as the driving force of libertarian morality. If I "consent" to having a government, then I have a government.

[ QUOTE ]

How would a private mob ever gain more power than the state? Seems impossible to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, never in the history of the world has someone with a lot of guns gained a lot of power. Never.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The mob doesn't need to be omnipotent, just powerful enough to affect you and your's. ACists will of course claim that everyone will ban together to ousts the mob. I'm skeptical of that to say the least.

[/ QUOTE ]

unless of course the people in a given area pay for the service of protection from the mob. Say a private security company who would be equipped with whatever the citizens felt was necessary. They could keep the mob from ever coming in the first place.

Even better, you could start a firm that trains groups like this and contract out to end the mob's rule. Making a fortune in the process. If the mob isn't omnipotent then there is little they could do to stop this once you are outside their turf. Unlike the omnipotent government under which there is no neutral ground, just one mob flowing into another.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

unless of course the people in a given area pay for the service of protection from the mob. Say a private security company who would be equipped with whatever the citizens felt was necessary. They could keep the mob from ever coming in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly differentiates that private security company from a mob? That is the distinction you fail to adress.