Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 04-01-2007, 12:36 AM

Default Re: Info on Selling a Used Car

[ QUOTE ]
Do people really pay $5K for a car with 130K miles on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

i was as suprised as you are. but the car runs fine. so i guess i understand someone who wants to just get a couple years out of a fun little car to drive. it's leather, v6, and a manual. still runs great.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:27 AM

Skoob,

Remove the license plate?
Old 04-01-2007, 11:26 AM

If it's even somewhat close to needing an oil change, get it done. If they want to take it to their own mechanic, make sure they know it's on their dollar. Be firm with your price. If it's a mechanic the buyer goes to alot, they may "fabricate" a report with problems the car has in order to get you to come down in price. Be prepared to say "No" if it's less money than you're willing to accept, and be patient. Eventually someone will come along and give you full asking price.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If they want to take it to their own mechanic, make sure they know it's on their dollar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering about the logistics of this. Do you just let them drive off with the car? Do you keep some kind of deposit?
Old 04-01-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Skoob,

Remove the license plate?

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't. Don't remember if you could see the plate in the pics or not.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If they want to take it to their own mechanic, make sure they know it's on their dollar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering about the logistics of this. Do you just let them drive off with the car? Do you keep some kind of deposit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your best bet is to have them make an appointment with their mechanic, then you drive the car and meet the buyer there. This type of thing only takes an hour or so. Actually, the buyer doesn't even have to be there as long as the mechanic bills him and sends him the report.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you keep the title, they would be stealing the car from you if they don't give it back. Take down their driver's license info (address, etc) before hand, and you probably won't have a problem.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also a lot of people like to pop the hood and look at the engine even though they have no idea what's going on. I think that cleaning the engine would really impress these people, but I'm not sure how easy that is. (eg. getting caked oil off the engine block)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a smart move and also quite easy and cheap to do on your own. You just buy some engine grease remover in a spray can, spray down your engine and then use a high pressure hose (such as one at a car wash) and it really does a good job.

=============

A key for those who are buying used cars, check the inside of the door where the door hinge is at. This is a common place where water sits and is a good indicator how well the car was taken care of. Someone who cares about their car (such as myself) will wipe this area and areas like it after any rain.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the person is smart and sees that the engine block is washed, they'll think that there is leaked oil somewhere.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also a lot of people like to pop the hood and look at the engine even though they have no idea what's going on. I think that cleaning the engine would really impress these people, but I'm not sure how easy that is. (eg. getting caked oil off the engine block)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a smart move and also quite easy and cheap to do on your own. You just buy some engine grease remover in a spray can, spray down your engine and then use a high pressure hose (such as one at a car wash) and it really does a good job.

=============

A key for those who are buying used cars, check the inside of the door where the door hinge is at. This is a common place where water sits and is a good indicator how well the car was taken care of. Someone who cares about their car (such as myself) will wipe this area and areas like it after any rain.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the person is smart and sees that the engine block is washed, they'll think that there is leaked oil somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why you should have the car looked at. I wash my engine block once every 6 months. It's just my typical care for my vehicles.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:05 PM

the car just had an oil change, and a minor tune up because it just had to go in to pass emmisions within the last few weeks. so it is fine on that front.

the engine light is always on in the car. that is something that i'm worried about. I guess i will just tell the buyers it's like a lot of cars with 100k miles, and the light always comes on a day or two after it goes into the shop.