Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Re: The Run

[ QUOTE ]
try and limit your losses from hand to hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
what does this mean?
Old 03-22-2007, 12:03 AM

Have you taken a nice long poker vacation? At this point, that's what I think you need.

IMO it would be unwise to blame an 85k flat stretch on variance. That's why I think you need to take a few weeks off. Get recharged, maybe nice & rusty. Come back refreshed & playing bad and you're in a good position to get better.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
try and limit your losses from hand to hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
what does this mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean that you should never bluff, or play weak tight postflop. I'm saying that in general you should not be stacking off with bluff catchers, making ill timed bluffs against people who can't fold. Poker is a LOT about deception, and the best LAG players are the ones who show up with the goods more than people except, and the best tight players are the ones who use their image to make bluffs and steal pots.

My point is that you should try to avoid spewing when you can help it, it impacts your winrate dramatically.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:12 AM

Yuck!!!! to both those graphs. How much do you rely on your poker earnings? Dude seriously you sure you don't have any subtle tilt problems? I think the best advice would be to take a vacation and to get laid alot. Come back to poker in a month and you will kill the game.

If you can't leave the game(assuming you don't really rely on the money so much) for a while, then your probably on a subtle and long term tilt.

Sorry dude, it will turn around
Old 03-22-2007, 12:21 AM

If you "just" mean don't spew, ok, I agree completely, one of the biggest SSNL leaks (including me). I just didn't get the "from hand to hand" part.

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is a LOT about deception, and the best LAG players are the ones who show up with the goods more than people except, and the best tight players are the ones who use their image to make bluffs and steal pots.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is way-oversimplified. You can't just "show up with the goods more than ppl expect" because, variance aside, you can only have the goods so often and anyone with a non retarded-brain is able to reasonably asses how often that is. The key to good LAG play is inducing over-adjustments, recognizing this and, most importantly, knowing how to maximally exploit them (which often means identifying very thin edges and pushing them as hard as possible).
Old 03-22-2007, 12:26 AM

are you turning your showdown hands into bluffs????
Old 03-22-2007, 12:34 AM

heres what you should do. move down to a level where you can consistently win. if its 25NL then so be it, you wont get better if you have a big ego and refuse to move down. play until you've made 10BI at that level then move up. if you're only marginally beating a level stay there until you've made a solid 4ptbb/100 winrate, then move up.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:56 AM

This is my graph post Party Poker. Games are harder, you have to adjust, and double figure winrates just aren't happening anymore over an meaningful sample.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:36 AM

"I do remember playing you a decent amount at 2/4 on Party before legislation (I was NEWPPSNKTHX if you remember), and you were pretty spewy although I definitely regarded you as a tough player"

last year i pretty laggy but got paid off enough that i was a marginal winner (somewhere around ~3.5ish). i definitely spewed too much, however. ive worked on really correcting that these past months.

"I think the best advice would be to take a vacation and to get laid alot."

fortunately, other aspects of my life are great. throughout these months ive taken several week breaks. i have an incredibly hot gf that make me very happy, etc.

"are you turning your showdown hands into bluffs???? "
im not sure what this means, tbh.

"
heres what you should do. move down to a level where you can consistently win. if its 25NL then so be it, you wont get better if you have a big ego and refuse to move down. play until you've made 10BI at that level then move up. if you're only marginally beating a level stay there until you've made a solid 4ptbb/100 winrate, then move up. "

i constantly move up and down when i think i am playing good or bad. as for the wr thing, its pointless. nl wr doesnt converge over any small amount of hands.

other things i have done starting about a month ago:
a) watch an entire GP video at the beginning of each day
b) 1 hour mandatory break if 4 BIs are lost
c) form 1 opinion about a thought provoking thread and compare with other winners thoughts

any other suggestions or routines people do to get in a winning frame of mind?

steel, nice graph.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you "just" mean don't spew, ok, I agree completely, one of the biggest SSNL leaks (including me). I just didn't get the "from hand to hand" part.

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is a LOT about deception, and the best LAG players are the ones who show up with the goods more than people except, and the best tight players are the ones who use their image to make bluffs and steal pots.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is way-oversimplified. You can't just "show up with the goods more than ppl expect" because, variance aside, you can only have the goods so often and anyone with a non retarded-brain is able to reasonably asses how often that is. The key to good LAG play is inducing over-adjustments, recognizing this and, most importantly, knowing how to maximally exploit them (which often means identifying very thin edges and pushing them as hard as possible).

[/ QUOTE ]

When I say "show up with the goods" I'm talking about in big pots, and it's not oversimplified at all. To be a successful LAG you don't have to run any crazy bluffs or spew off stacks, and if you can avoid doing it as much as possible, it's for the better. The "from hand to hand" part was poorly worded on my end, what I mean is that limiting your losses in general is a sound strategy in particular for a LAG player because you constantly get paid off when you make hands on top off picking up plenty of small/medium pots. It's fine and completely normal as a LAG to lose a ton of small pots like raising preflop and cbetting. Two barrelling is often times +EV and not what I consider spew when it doesn't work, FWIW.

I agree with the rest of what you said