Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 09-19-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #1 Flop

I definitely check behind as I am smelling a middle pair that just got a set. I think im too paranoid. But in all seriousness a bet is very unlikely to take anyone away from their hand on this flop.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:20 PM

It's a benign looking flop. If we are ahead then why not try to get it now instead of if something like a K comes on the turn?
And since so many cards improve our hand I'd like to keep control of the pot because otherwise say an offsuit Q comes and MJ bets the pot or close to it?
Betting here 1) may take it down now, 2) may get us a free card or at least slow down opponents on the turn.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My hand isn't likely to improve on this board and the board is unlikely to have hit anyone very hard so I just make a standard continuation bet of 1000 hoping to represent an over pair like JJ/QQ or top pair top kicker and take it down. If I get check raised then I'm fine with folding because I'm probably behind anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you yourself said this flop is uunlikely to have hit someone, so your opponents re going to to know this, and could very well raise you with air here. Being checck raised doesn't mean your hand is no good, but you can't play it out usually to see what happens.

you say your hand is unlikely to impvoe.. but more than half the deck gives you significant draws or TPTK.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it doesn't need to hit us if we have an overpair.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just make a standard continuation bet of 1000

[ QUOTE ]
could very well raise you with air here.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, a 1K bet could be taken as weakness by two very solid players. As I posted earlier, just check and see another card.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:26 PM

Also, would the fact that we're betting into 2 callers make it seem like less of a continuation bet?
And the pot isn't small. It's already decent and worth taking.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:31 PM

the fact that the pot isn't small just means you're going to have to risk more to win it, and it's not that good of chance that you take it down here... you get checkraised more often than they'll fold.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:34 PM

I'm happy to see that the original Hero took the same line I would have preflop...anyways

My original range for CO was [JJ-22,A2s+,K9s+,QTs+,JTs,T9s,98s,87s,76s,65s,AQo-A3o,KTo+,QJo,JTo]

After calling a preflop raise with MJ already calling in front of him, the range has not been narrowed at all since CO would have implied odds with any of his preflop holdings. However, with a F of T93 rainbow a Tight player would be willing to call/raise a strong F bet A LITTLE MORE THAN HALF THE TIME, whether with an overpair, a pair of some kind, draw, set, whatever. Now let's deal with MJ...

His range for calling the preflop raise I would put at [22+,A2s+,KTs+,QTs+,JTs,T9s,98s,87s,76s,65s,54s,AQo +]. That is slightly Tighter than CO's range because he has to worry more about domination with two other players in the hand as well as having the worst position. MJ would be willing to call/raise on a T93 rainbow F about 60% of the time. That doesn't include a stone cold bluff or a read bluff.

So with a player at 45% to fold and another at 40%, a continuation bet is ill-advised. Let's see a Turn. The only bet that can realistically fold out draws and overpairs and decent pairs is a Push, and there's no reason to do that in case someone has a set. There's a good chance a bet will be check-raised here and you have no idea where you stand. Free card please.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:36 PM

Whether I make a continuation bet here depends on my past history at this table. If I have been betting every flop that I raised preflop, I will pass here. If I am perceived as someone who only bets when they have a hand, then I will make the continuation bet.

If either the SB or the CO have a pair here, they may well check-raise my continuation bet to "test" me, at which point I have two choices, give up on the pot or reraise all-in representing an overpair. If I do this and they have made a set I'm done.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you get checkraised more often than they'll fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?
Old 09-19-2005, 05:42 PM

I just want to note that another reason I would often check the flop here is that the turn card might give me a draw --- if it comes a club I have a club draw, if it comes an 8 or Q I have an open-ended str8 draw. So if I get an A,J,Q,8 or club on the turn, I can bet (or raise) there. A raise on the turn after a checked flop looks very much like a slow-played big pair or a made set.