Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Re: NJ high school to test teens for alcohol consumption

Ugh, underage drinking isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have always wondered this: Is it legal for parents to allow their children to consume alcohol (e.g. wine with dinner)? I know a lot of parents do (many friends during high school had parents who bought them alcohol). Is this legal?

[/ QUOTE ]

In Illinois at least, there are three legal ways someone under 21 can have alchohol.

1)Medicine
2)Religious cermony
3)If you're inside your home with your parents and its not obvious to the outside public.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The reason that the schools have to do this is because many parents have abdicated these responsibilities. I agree that the schools should be teaching and not parenting, I am just not sure how you get out of the mess we are in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Private school FTW. I went to private school from 4th-8th grade, we moved away before high school, and I was much better off for it. My history classes covered everything my high school did in more depth. Same with my english classes until AP english in the 12th grade. My one algebra class in middle school got me through algebra 2 and most of precalculus. My 2 years of Spanish in middle school got me through 4 years of Spanish in high school despite taking Spanish 3, 4, AP1, and AP2.

And I agree that many parents have abdicated a lot of the responsibilities of child raising. This part I don't know how to get around, but if parents actually paid more attention to their kids and what they were doing, it would solve a lot of problems our society faces.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If schools spent as much effort on actually trying to teach kids, we would be the envy of the world.

Instead they have to micromanage clothing, music, activities outside of the school, and still do a [censored] job teaching our kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason that the schools have to do this is because many parents have abdicated these responsibilities. I agree that the schools should be teaching and not parenting, I am just not sure how you get out of the mess we are in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remove the bulging middle layer of ineffectual paper pushers.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If schools spent as much effort on actually trying to teach kids, we would be the envy of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

This crap is getting out of hand. Lets also test kids for nicotine and STDs. Perhaps mandatory gunpowder residue screening as well every day? Where do you draw the line?
Old 01-30-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a joke? Every year a lot of 16 year olds die as the result of drunk driving accidents. It's something that is totally preventable. Why trivialize something like this? Kids under 18 don't need to be drinking alcohol period.

Once you get out of high school then I am slightly more sympathetic to the 19 and 20 year olds who have to get fake IDs in college.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

another QFT -- somehow Europeans (for example) manage to not become total degenerates.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:12 PM

Consumption of NyQuil is about to skyrocket in Pequannock, N.J.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a joke? Every year a lot of 16 year olds die as the result of drunk driving accidents. It's something that is totally preventable. Why trivialize something like this? Kids under 18 don't need to be drinking alcohol period.

Once you get out of high school then I am slightly more sympathetic to the 19 and 20 year olds who have to get fake IDs in college.

[/ QUOTE ]

What percentage is "a lot"?

Every year "a lot" of people get injured slipping in the bathtub, but it's certainly not the schools responsibility to inspect bathtubs.

Nor is it their responsibility to inspect anybody's bladder.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

However you feel about this issue you have to realize that kids are going to drink underage, this is a fact of the world we live in. The key is to teach them to do it as responsibly as possible -- see Europe.

FWIW, I come from a very long line of alcoholics on both sides of my family. I am acutely aware of the problems alcohol can cause. At the same time I realize that people want to drink, including teenagers. 'Prohibition' is never the answer imho.

edited to add quotes around prohibition to reduce flaming