Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 11:44 PM

Default (NC Rant) To Perry Friedman:

I know you come on here from time to time...

I sort of understand "coaching" at the 2/4 table that has your name on it after you take a beat when you want to vent; however, it is fairly absurd to be teaching the big table fish in the middle of the 8/16 game who sucks out on you while the rest of us are trying to play him. Especially to keep at it with him after you stand up from the table... Just let people play the way they want with their money. The donators are the ones who keep these games going for the rest of us, especially with all this illegal gaming nonsense.

Ok, rant over.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:48 PM

Default Re: (NC Rant) To Perry Friedman:

I wouldn't exactly call this no content. Perry's behavior is part of the reason I don't play on Full Tilt.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:06 AM

There's no question he uses the coaching excuse to whine about the beats. No other name on there does that. He's an embarrassment to FT.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's no question he uses the coaching excuse to whine about the beats. No other name on there does that. He's an embarrassment to FT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harsh..

I'm sure these guys get some sort of a deal as players.

Why not just report him to Full Tilt, the red players are there to encourage play, not discourage it?

Can we have some fun with this, and have people post beats they've laid on Perry.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:36 AM

I have seen him do his minor freak-outs at the table, but I have never seen him chase a sucker away, the cardinal sin of poker.

My favorite little tic of his is that every time someone brings it in for a complete bet, he insta-types a link to an article he wrote about how bad it is to open complete. He probably has a macro on a hotkey for it.

Honestly though, I don't mind his little tirades, because he doesn't belittle the players, he just needles them with "what did you put me on, exactly?" and the like. Bad players will not be intimidated by this because he is hardly a household name, and certainly won't try to improve their hand reading. Players who have made a lucky score off him (or who took proper odds to do so) get a little thrill out of these agitations, and if I'm in the game, it's a sort of floorshow of frustration that is morbidly entertaining.

If he were to belittle players and call them names like most "civilian" table captains, he would be more likely to chase the bad players away, and it would bother me. As it is, he's just tilting in a way that, while unproductive, seems not to influence the game very much.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:56 AM

Well, if Perry was playing 8-16, there were at least TWO fish at the table. You should have told him how much you value his advice to keep him at the table. I got in a debate with him about bringing it in for a full bet -- said it can be a valid tactic at times head up - and he challenged me to a $40 freeze out at 2-4 where I cleaned him, then a rematch where I cleaned him again. People think the "pros" are good players, but as far as I can tell he's a losing 2-4 and 3-6 player. As for 8-16, which I don't play, I can't imagine he'd do well. I've never even seen him in the 5-10. Perry is a nice guy though, and I actually have enjoyed chatting with him.

Keith Sexton, on the other hand, can be kind of careleess and doesn't chat much but he is a good player who I give plenty of respect.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:30 AM

Needless to say Perry did not do so hot. Sat down for only 10 minutes, got burned by this dude, and then sat out while giving him a speech for ten minutes about why he should never play a pair of fours with no kicker in early position after perry raised.

BTW Chiu was in the game too and appeared to be playing any 3 as far as I could tell, even taking the shuffling of cards into account. It would have been hillarious if perry started telling him how to play!
Old 02-09-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know you come on here from time to time...

I sort of understand "coaching" at the 2/4 table that has your name on it after you take a beat when you want to vent; however, it is fairly absurd to be teaching the big table fish in the middle of the 8/16 game who sucks out on you while the rest of us are trying to play him. Especially to keep at it with him after you stand up from the table... Just let people play the way they want with their money. The donators are the ones who keep these games going for the rest of us, especially with all this illegal gaming nonsense.

Ok, rant over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perry seems to have his heart in the right place, it's just that his mouth and brain rarely end up there. I agree that if he wants to coach people while HE'S playing against them, that's his right. But coaching them while sitting out and not risking his own money is over the line.

Not that I put too much stock in his advice. Don't know how good he is at stud, but I saw him freak out on a guy at a Razz table one time and go on and on about he bad a call the guy made. So I did a little calculating myself, and figured out that he was completely wrong, even tho it was a very counter intuitive result. It started me down a path of invistigating more and more misconceptions about razz, which has payed off quite handsomely. So I guess I should really be saying "Thanks Perry!!"
Old 02-09-2007, 06:06 PM

Time and time again, Friedman has shown himself to be low class and of little value to the poker world and the Full Tilt organization by berating players at the table. His banter is incredibly annoying. All of the justifications he gives for his behavior are merely excuses for being the classless, OMG-I-can't-believe-that-guy-sucked-out-on-me, baby-bitch weak player that he is.

-Michael
Old 02-09-2007, 06:11 PM

He simply isn't very good. When I first played with him, I thought he was 'donking it up' for the good of the game. Then I realized he was playing his best!

To have his own table is pretty much a joke.