Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2007, 12:50 PM

Default 5/10 Stud - Bet or Bait #2

Here I made my hand in the biggest way possible on 5th. If I bet out I am worried about losing everyone though, especially given the raise on 4th... in hand #1 I can easily be caught, but here I likened it to having quads on 4th, where checking is the play.

Did I just get lucky he hit an ace, or should I bet 5th hoping he might draw to a perceived better flush?

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $1, Bring-In $1.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.20 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds

4th Street - (4.50 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises

5th Street - (5.25 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

6th Street - (5.25 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises

River - (9.25 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (11.25 BB - $112.50)
Old 01-13-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Re: 5/10 Stud - Bet or Bait #2

I think the check on fifth should look suspicious. To be sure, betting would look natural, and folks might be slow to give you credit for a flush, let alone a straight flush. Also, if A45 makes a flush, he may give you excess action. It doesn't look like it made much difference here, but I think in general you're leaving money on the table.

Last time I had quads on fourth street, I bet and everybody folded.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:06 PM

I'd bet fifth and pray he'd check raise with his Ace-high flush.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:47 PM

The guy with the ace up is often calling whenever he has bare aces, is calling with any diamond in the hole, and if he has a diamond flush, you will hit the jackpot.

If they all fold to bet, you weren't going to win much more by checking anyways.

I think checking here is actually quite bad.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:35 PM

Straight flshes are so rare they are not often considered by an opponent who has made his hand, so I have always played them fast. I have won bigger pots this way, usually after reducing the field to one opponent. There is some logic to it: If you have two or more opponents with made hands, each will be concerned about the others as well as you, and may give less action than one opponent would on his own, thinking he only has to beat you.

If you get into it with a guy with an Ace-high flush or a boat, he may well try to maximize his profit against you and put in a bunch of bets. If there are two other guys in the pot, and one of them has a paired board, neither may opt to re-open the betting, but be content to overcall.

I would not be concerned about losing an opponent with a weak hand here. I'm only going to make money from another big hand anyway, and I want him to lose a lot.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The guy with the ace up is often calling whenever he has bare aces, is calling with any diamond in the hole, and if he has a diamond flush, you will hit the jackpot.

If they all fold to bet, you weren't going to win much more by checking anyways.

I think checking here is actually quite bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thinking was that I could get the bet back if either makes their hand, and they would probably fold to my very apparant flush if they didnt have anything anyway. Since I know they can't catch me even if they were able to flip through all the rest of the cards in the deck and take what they wanted I figured I would give them a seed of doubt about my holding and a chance to get something bet-worthy. The only time this truly backfires on me is if I get a 4th suited card up. If I didn't raise 4th I think there is a much stronger case to bet 5th and hope they put me on 4+pair.

Not that it matters, but as it turned out the guy with the aces had jacks down...that would have been a tough call for him on 5th if I bet.