Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 12-20-2006, 03:45 AM

Default Middle Set with blocker

It's a live dealer's choice game and this round is PLO. The game is also very live in the metaphoric sense -- players will chase with only one non-nut draw (table is 10-handed), call big bets with top two (or any two pair, really), etc.

I have about $210. Blinds are .5/$1

5 players limp, I call on the button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], blinds check.

Flop is Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
EP player with about $80 $5, two callers, I pot it ($31), EP calls, one of the callers pushes about $65, and the player to my right, one of the few solid players in the game and the only one who covers me, calls.

I think to myself that this is an odd way to play QQ or a wrap, and I have a Q anyway, which I guess is a "blocker" to him having QQ, so I repot.

Standard? Do you play any differently if you don't have a Q?
Old 12-20-2006, 03:56 AM

Default Re: Middle Set with blocker

I'd probably raise to 3-5 pf and your flop play is fine.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:31 AM

Yeah repotting is fine here. In a loose passive game like this, I'm happy to just limp the button here though I guess raising is ok too.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:09 PM

This is a pretty good hand on the button so in a loose game like this I might donk raise the pot pf so that if i hit a set or my wrap on flop I can really push. I think your Q counterfeits anyone having trips, though ep players shove says there's a small chance he does, in which case I shove putting other ep player ai so I can at least get his chips if other guy has me dominated. Either way the chips are going in the middle. If i'm not holding a Q here I probably convince myself to let go of the hand, but it wont be easy.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah repotting is fine here. In a loose passive game like this, I'm happy to just limp the button here though I guess raising is ok too.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my thought too. I really only raise hands like AAxx and double-suited connector hands like T987d in this game, because there's just very little reason to do otherwise (metagame, disguising your hand, etc). In other words, by raising preflop in this game, I don't really increase my odds of taking down the pot unimproved or anything.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my thought too. I really only raise hands like AAxx and double-suited connector hands like T987d in this game, because there's just very little reason to do otherwise (metagame, disguising your hand, etc). In other words, by raising preflop in this game, I don't really increase my odds of taking down the pot unimproved or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Howbout to make the pot bigger for when you win it?
Old 12-20-2006, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Howbout to make the pot bigger for when you win it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. This hand demonstrates how completely unnecessary that is.

Results -- EP called my all-in, LP folded and showed a bare KT draw (personally this shocked me that he called with that in the first place, terrible call given I was left to act. Maybe he wasn't as solid as i thought, but I know him mostly as a very solid LAG NLHE player).

Turn 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] river was a 5 of a suit I don't remember.

EP mucked without showing but he must have had some straight draw, the other EP showed QJxx.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. No it doesn't.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. No it doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain please. The bad players are stacking off when I hit in limped pots. What does investing more preflop do if they are stacking off either way, other than cost me more every time I whiff?
Old 12-20-2006, 08:58 PM

This one hand does not represent what happens every time you raise preflop.