Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2006, 01:26 AM

Default Help me out with Dr. Strangelove...

I just watched this movie for the first time after hearing how awesome it was for the past few years. I, as with the Matrix, think that the hype may be part of why I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped. (Note: I went on to enjoy the Matrix after later viewings)...

What is it that makes this movie the icon that it is today? It is 19th on IMDb and I am not understanding why.

Here is what I know:
I liked the acting in it a lot.
I liked the writing in a subtle giggling sort of way. Only the bullriding the bomb got me to actually laugh out loud. It was good humor, and perhaps even very very sharp humor, but I don't know if I would consider it the funniest I've ever come across....

I'm guessing that part of the reason that I didn't like it THAT much, is the cultural context. Being that I'm 21 and have little knowledge of the culture/society of that time period, I think lacking that knowledge really hinders my ability to appreciate this movie.
(I realize nukes and war were a threat and everything, but it seems that I just can't appreciate this movie without having "been through it" or something)...

Is it the lack of cultural intelligence for that time period that makes me think this movie is just a plain good movie? Or is there something else I am missing that people love so much about it?
Old 11-02-2006, 01:38 AM

Default Re: Help me out with Dr. Strangelove...

Something else you are missing. Start with the Mine Shaft Gap and go from there.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:13 AM

I think I'd like to hold off judgement on a thing like that until all the facts are in.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:13 AM

It was probably a combination of expecting a different type of movie and the hype.

FYI I first saw this movie when I was 19 (I'm 21 now) and really enjoyed it. You are definitely missing something.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:38 AM

You try any preversions in there, I'll blow your head off.

Seriously, you may need more viewings to appreciate it. I'm old enough to get the context and yes, I think you are at a disadvantage there. 'Mine shaft gap'. Heh.

Also, the brilliance of Peter Sellers alone in three roles makes this an all-time classic.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:08 AM

I'm with OP. I recently saw it for the first time, and thought it was good, but no classic.

By the way, I'm about to turn 40.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it the lack of cultural intelligence for that time period that makes me think this movie is just a plain good movie? Or is there something else I am missing that people love so much about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to be missing the satire.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:55 AM

cold war funnyyyyyyy.

this film was brilliant. I watched it again one xmas with my grandparents and they loved it too. It has transcendent appeal.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:34 AM

well certainly a familiarity with cold war hysteria and the arms race will help your enjoyment (i'm only 26 so you don't have to have lived through it just have a good understanding of history).

and if that doesn't work for you drop some acid and then watch it.

one of the best movies of all time.
of course i'm a huge kubrick fan.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:29 AM

Every word out of George C. Scott's mouth is pure brilliance. My fav is the "Does have a chance?" speech. I think that the Dr. Strangelove character himself is the weakest part. Torn and Pickens are spectacular as is Sellers as president and Mandrake.

"If you don't get the president on the phone you know what's gonna happen? You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company!"