Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2006, 06:28 AM

Default College v. Pro

I am having a ridiculous drunke convo with some people, and the argument is centered around whether any college football teams in history could beat any pro teams. One of my friends claim that Miami back in 2002 when they had 7 first ruond draft picks could have beaten a couple of the weaker teams in the NFL (Clev, Det, Ariz, Houston)

I personally think that there's no way a college team could ever beat a pro team...but I'm willing to see if others disagree, or my friends really just are retarted
Old 07-23-2006, 07:20 AM

Default Re: College v. Pro

No way.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:57 AM

Surely there's one college team in history that could have beaten the 0-14 Buccaneers.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Surely there's one college team in history that could have beaten the 0-14 Buccaneers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not likely. Realize that the miserable Bucs team, though miserable and the worst in the league is still chalk full of first rounders at every position, not only that but experience, size and strength. That Miami team in 02' was great but I just don't see them beating a team of a guys that were ALL top draft picks and have been in the league for years.

With that said, I would say the biggest difference would be the size of the lines...avg college lines are considerably lighter than NFL and they would be punished throughout an entire game.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:40 AM

Plus, have you seen Ken Dorsey try to throw in the NFL
Old 07-23-2006, 10:52 AM

If you're talking any college team in any era vs any pro team in any era, it's pretty easy to argue that some of the current college powerhouses would destroy some of the teams from 60+ years ago. We now have safeties who are bigger than the OL used to be, and we have DL/LB who run faster than the WR used to.

If you're talking a college team vs a pro team from their own era, then it's very unlikely. I know a long time ago they used to have a college all-star team play either the NFL champion or runner-up and the college players at times did well. But now, no way.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:18 AM

I think it's possible, but it would be a complete fluke.

If nothing weird happened like a running back tripping on the turf twice and coughing up the ball, then it isn't possible.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One of my friends claim that Miami back in 2002 when they had 7 first ruond draft picks

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't follow college football too much. Who were these 7 guys, and what are they doing in the NFL today? I think one of them is Andre Johnson? What about the other 6?
Old 07-23-2006, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One of my friends claim that Miami back in 2002 when they had 7 first ruond draft picks

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't follow college football too much. Who were these 7 guys, and what are they doing in the NFL today? I think one of them is Andre Johnson? What about the other 6?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Andre was taking in 03 draft

In 02 draft They had Shockey, McKinnie, Buchanon , and Ed Reed all pretty god players in NFl right now.

Edit: I also think it is worth mentioning that bad NFL teams play bad together as a team, while good COllege teams have very good chemistry.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:33 AM

Take a no 1 college team, then think of how many of those starters never establish themselves in the pros. Then consider that the college team will be age 20-22 and the pro team will be 24-30, the pro team is going to be much bigger and stronger because of that. It's pretty much as close to impossible as football games can get.