Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 09:58 AM

Default My incompetent co worker is driving me crazy.

I have a co-worker that I never wanted to work with. When I heard she wanted to work in my unit, I strongly suggested to my supervisor that she not be allowed to work in this unit. That suggestion was ignored. The co worker has been incompetent since day one. While a nice person, she lacks any organizational skills or time management skills. Needless to say, she is a disaster and eventually will be removed from this job though it may take a while. She has lost/misplaced/missed deadlines, etc so many times I cannot count. Oh yeah, she makes $72K a year.

Ok, so last Wed(5/24) was my last day at work. I had scheduled Thurs and Friday off as well as the weekend and Memorial Day. I had possession of a file that my co-worker may have needed. So last thing I did Wed afternoon at 4:18(I leave at 4:30) was to send an email to her stating exactly what the file was, where it was on my desk, and that I would need it back.

I came back to work today to find my well organized desk in shambles. I keep all my work load(the paper work takes up about 7-8 feet of desk space) organized chrono, and then by last name. Everything was scattered and had been rifled through. I asked another co worker about the particular problem co worker and the file I thought she might need. He said "oh yeah, she was looking for you Thursday". I thought to myself...wtf... I sent this bitch an email detailing everything. My co worker suggested I look and see if the email was opened. I checked...the email was opened......

...at 5:33 pm on Thursday(5/25).

WTF?!?!?!?!? A management level employee went an entire friggen day without looking at her email! WTF!
Old 05-30-2006, 10:00 AM

Default Re: My incompetent co worker is driving me crazy.

[ QUOTE ]
WTF?!?!?!?!? A management level employee went an entire friggen day without looking at her email! WTF!

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe she just ignores emails from you.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:12 AM

I am sorry to say that most people have to deal with incompetent co-workers at their job. I work in a very very large law firm, when our HR manager left, the management committee promoted the RECEPTIONIST to that position because she has been working here for 25 years as a RECEPTIONIST!!!! Needless to say she has no experience or skills or understanding of the job. She gossips to others about what people say in her office which should be CONFIDENTIAL!

Anyway, just cross your fingers that upper management will realize that she is incompetent and get rid of her.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:21 AM

"I had possession of a file that my co-worker may have needed. So last thing I did Wed afternoon at 4:18(I leave at 4:30) was to send an email to her stating exactly what the file was, where it was on my desk, and that I would need it back. "

If you knew that co-worker was an incompetent mess, aren't YOU partially at fault for not telling her about it, as WELL as email? Or putting the file on HER desk, with a note that you'd needed it back?

Planning around idiots is YOUR responsibility as well.... if you don't want to sort through the mess on the Tuesday afterwards.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am sorry to say that most people have to deal with incompetent co-workers at their job. I work in a very very large law firm, when our HR manager left, the management committee promoted the RECEPTIONIST to that position because she has been working here for 25 years as a RECEPTIONIST!!!! Needless to say she has no experience or skills or understanding of the job. She gossips to others about what people say in her office which should be CONFIDENTIAL!

Anyway, just cross your fingers that upper management will realize that she is incompetent and get rid of her.

[/ QUOTE ]maybe she was sleeping with someone?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:25 AM

ZEEbo is on to something here; is she remotely attractive? Could explain her longevity with the company. Also, women are by far given a pass for incompetence as they have ta-tas. Hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"I had possession of a file that my co-worker may have needed. So last thing I did Wed afternoon at 4:18(I leave at 4:30) was to send an email to her stating exactly what the file was, where it was on my desk, and that I would need it back. "

If you knew that co-worker was an incompetent mess, aren't YOU partially at fault for not telling her about it, as WELL as email? Or putting the file on HER desk, with a note that you'd needed it back?

Planning around idiots is YOUR responsibility as well.... if you don't want to sort through the mess on the Tuesday afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I told her on Tuesday. I sent the email because she had called in sick on Wednesday(using her final day of our 11 days of sick time in the process...and its only May) and I knew she would forget.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not understanding why it would be his responsibility to plan around her. He emailed her which is plenty enough as far i am concerned. She is management and therefore expected to handle her job at a certain level. It is not OP's responsibility to babysit her.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:45 AM

You need to start CCing or BCCing in her's and/or your boss in on emails. Make sure your emails include references to previous conversations, such as "Although we already discussed this issue, I just want to follow up..."

Don't make this your personal mission to show her incompetancy, though. This won't necessarily make you look great, either.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe she was sleeping with someone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently on his desk.