Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 12:46 PM

Default Re: The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

1200$ WPT satillite, down to HU. Buddy has 35xBB I have him covered. He raises button to 3.5BB, i think for a while and make a big over push with AQs and he insta calls, ok I must be F#$%##. He tables Q,8 and tells me he saw somewhere it was better than the average hand. He looses and comes 2nd for a replay at the 1200$ while I get the 10300 first place seat. He tells me soon after he was playing for 2nd anyways because he really enjoys playing the satillites. WOW
Old 10-24-2007, 01:00 PM

Now that is a Buddy!
Old 10-24-2007, 01:17 PM

Seems like you both got what you wanted out of it - you got the WPT seat and he got to play the game he wanted to for free.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:49 PM

4-8 @ Mandalay

King hits the turn and I raised pre-flop bet the flop from BB

"You haven't played a hand in a long time -- I guess I'll give you action"

(My full house ultimately beat her second pair -- thank you very much)
Old 10-24-2007, 05:59 PM

"never fold connected cards like 78 and 56. they make 2pair or better 90% of the time."
Old 10-24-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An old guy at the 10/20 limit table yesterday said "I play only small cards, because I figure everyone else in the hand is playing bigger cards so smaller cards will usually appear on the flop."

I nearly spat my coffee in his face.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember, don't spit coffee on the tank. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"never fold connected cards like 78 and 56. they make 2pair or better 90% of the time."

[/ QUOTE ]

What... hes right you know
Old 10-25-2007, 12:34 AM

Was at the Mirage last saturday 1/2nl. I bet $25 (around half the pot)on the river with Aces up against one other player. after a little humming and hawing he said he was calling for information and I showed/he mucked.

He did seem like a decent player and he was up a buyin or 2. The best part of his call for information (not a terrible play) was that he left 15 mins later.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:40 PM

In a 1/2 NL game at the Borgata, I flopped two-pair in a 6-way pot. The first to act was a LAG who led into the field, and I promptly raised him. After everyone else folded, he called behind, and then he called the turn as well.

By the river, the pot was around $125. The river was a brick and failed to complete either the straight or flush draws that were out. The guy then decided to lead into me by pushing all-in for about $150. I reluctantly called, expecting to see either a set or a busted draw. Fortunately, the guy turn over a Jack high hand after missing his gutshot straight draw.

Now, I would have given him a lot of credit for a creative play if he had explained his move by saying that he had missed his draw and that bluffing at the pot was the only way that he could win it. However, he offered this gem instead:

"What could I do? I was pot committed!"
Old 10-25-2007, 02:48 PM

Home game this week, guy who plays very tight/conservative and always questions his play, he plays his hand tricky and gets it all in with AA against two players, one holding 77 and KT.

Flop is Kxx, Turn 7, River T.

He loses both pots and of course begins deriding his own play. I try to assure him he played it perfectly (it's a friendly game).

Another guy at the table "Well the problem was you got it all in with multiple opponents. You only want to get it all in with aces against a single opponent." Others at the table agree. They know I play alot and have read tons of poker books and someone asks me "Is that right? How many opponents do you want all in preflop with aces, just 1 or is it 2?"

Me: "If we are talking a cash game and I can reload, I want as many as possible"

*confused faces*

I then inarticulately try to explain the difference between the chance at winning the pot vs. how much you expect to get back from it on average.