Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Ask me about Adolf Hitler.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hitler was not a literate one trick pony. It is very possible that Hitler was more widely read than just about anyone that ever lived (if not it would be close.) And he remembered everything he ever read. For the years when he was busto all he did was read books from the library. He read everything he could on art, theatre, opera, architecture, politics, history, etc.

This is why everyone had such trouble disputing his arguments, he had such a voluminous knowledge of everything that he could just exhibit pedantic displays of information overload until the opponent would retreat, feeling intellectually inferior.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read a lot of this thread, but I caught this piece of [censored] hero worship.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude wtf.

Every word of that is probably true.

Doesn't mean he wasn't also a pathetic walking cancer who somehow got his hands on the wheel. I don't think anybody's suggesting otherwise. Why trip?
Old 09-02-2007, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hitler was not a literate one trick pony. It is very possible that Hitler was more widely read than just about anyone that ever lived (if not it would be close.) And he remembered everything he ever read. For the years when he was busto all he did was read books from the library. He read everything he could on art, theatre, opera, architecture, politics, history, etc.

This is why everyone had such trouble disputing his arguments, he had such a voluminous knowledge of everything that he could just exhibit pedantic displays of information overload until the opponent would retreat, feeling intellectually inferior.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read a lot of this thread, but I caught this piece of [censored] hero worship.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude wtf.

Every word of that is probably true.

Doesn't mean he wasn't also a pathetic walking cancer who somehow got his hands on the wheel. I don't think anybody's suggesting otherwise. Why trip?

[/ QUOTE ]

Every word?

"It's very possible that Hitler was more widely read than just about anyone who ever lived"

Come the [censored] on. There was this crazy dude who lived next across the hall from me in college who was about 40 and did absolutely nothing but study and study all sorts of things. He was getting his PhD in math, but also knew just about everything in a ton of fields. He was batshit insane and his room was filled with books all the way to the ceiling with about 12 inch pathways for him to move.

Did OP consider this guy in his anaysis of whether Hitler was one of the best read people of all time?

"And he remembered everything he ever read"

WTF? I guess Hitler was the biggest speed reading genius in the entire history of the world. [censored], he must have known as much 10 PhDs put together. Damn he could have totally kicked Ken Jenning's ass in Jeopardy.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
AC,

Did Hitler study the Roman republic/empire?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he obsessively studied World History. He admired the Greeks and Romans very much.

[/ QUOTE ]
1st reich- roman empire
2nd reich- pre WW1 germany
3rd reich- WW2 germany
Old 09-02-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hitler really did try to understand military theory, though he was no Napoleon. He told Guderian that he read and reread his book on tank tactics many time and this is why he later put him in command of the Easter theatre.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did Hitler reread this book when he remembered everything he ever read?
Old 09-02-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa. Ok Hitler didn't have an excellent memory and voluminous knowledge about many things. People just did what he said because they felt sorry for him. I was trying to convey why so many million of Germans followed him. An idiot doesn't amass millions of followers.

And I said "pedantic displays" of knowledge. This indicates that most of the things he talked about were of no real value, but when less educated people heard him they thought he really must be saying something simply because he had so much to say.

So many people have no command of rhetoric and are easily influenced by it.

Did you read the whole thread before making this post?

From Life and Death of:

"When the wars were over, it became customary to speak of the banality of his mind and the turgidity of his speeches, but these were dangerous half-truths. He had a mind like a cutting edge, was learned in many disciplines, read widely, and possessed a phenomenal memory that retained nearly everything that he ever read or heard. His writing and speeches are turgid when presented in English translation, but this is partly the fault of the translators.

In the original they have raw energy and turbulent power designed to excite the audience to action, and there was np doubt that they admirably served his purpose. He was not an orator in the traditional sense, but a spellbinder who knew exactly how to arose the masses.

When he wanted to, he could coo like a dove. Men spoke of his sweet voice, which was the not the voice he employed at the Nuremburg rallies. Speaking in small gatherings at the opening of a new building, when there was no occasion for uttering threats, he would employ a low-keyed voice of sweet reasonableness, almost caressing. When he spoke quietly, simply, and earnestly, he was completely convincing. These small, intimate talks were seldom broadcast, but they played an important role in his legend. By their reasonablness and gentleness they convinced many Germans that his great ranting speeches were designed for foreign consumption and were not to be taken altogether seriously."
Old 09-02-2007, 12:38 AM

I'm not going to play nit with you, but the point is, adults should be capable of making a dispassionate assessment of a person's merits, even when they're total scumbags overall.

Salvador Dali was a brilliant technical artist. He was also a disgusting piece of [censored]. You don't have to 'take sides' with one or the other of those statements. They're both true.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hitler really did try to understand military theory, though he was no Napoleon. He told Guderian that he read and reread his book on tank tactics many time and this is why he later put him in command of the Easter theatre.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You never reread books you know by heart? I have done this with Orwell's 1984 and Down and Out in Paris and London. And with Castaneda's A Seperate Reality and journey to Ixtlan. I also do it with poker books. You are just being confrontational now. This is quite a reach.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:42 AM

Old 09-02-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You never reread books you know by heart? I have done this with Orwell's 1984 and Down and Out in Paris and London. And with Castaneda's A Seperate Reality and journey to Ixtlan. I also do it with poker books. You are just being confrontational now. This is quite a reach.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no Hitler. I don't know any books by heart.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:46 AM

microbet,

The only thing that sucks more than your arguments is your MSPaint.

All,

This thread is proof of OP's observation of people going batshit crazy when Hitler's name is mentioned.