Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2007, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Ask me about Adolf Hitler.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm more than happy to make an "Ask me about Nietzsche's philosophy" if there's any interest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do this please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I am going to go get my books out of my car (cuz I imagine I'll have to do lots of quoting and looking up) and I'm fairly tired so I might not do it tonight, but I will do this either tonight or tomorrow.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:40 PM

AC,

Was it Hitler who actually had the Reichstag burned in 1933?
Old 09-01-2007, 10:41 PM

Also AC Slater, I didn't mean to sound like a total dick, I really did enjoy this thread thoroughly and I understand exactly what you mean. Hitler is fascinating and writing him off as unworthy of understanding or just crazy or whatever just increases the likelihood that someone like him could exist again. Not understanding something/someone terrible is so stupid but people keep trying it...
Old 09-01-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AC,

Was it Hitler who actually had the Reichstag burned in 1933?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it was Goering that did that. Goering was 2nd in command of the regime. I'm sure he probably talked to Hitler about it before doing it. Many years later in 42 or 43 they were having a dinner and someone brought up the question as to whether the old Reichstag had any architectural merit. And Goering boasted (to nazi officials) 'The only one who knows anything about the Reichstag is me, for I burned it down!'

Goering's office had underground tunnels that led right to the Reichstag. It was burned down to blame the Communists and allow more civil liberties to be suspended. Hitler was also an architectural nit and he didn't like the building. He wanted a more fitting building to represent German power.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:50 PM

AC,

Did Hitler study the Roman republic/empire?
Old 09-01-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AC,

Did Hitler study the Roman republic/empire?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he obsessively studied World History. He admired the Greeks and Romans very much.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hitler really understood how to control public opinion and he knew that if he could play on the anti-semetism of Europe that he could blame them for all the ills of the country. You don't have a job...it's the Jews. The economy is bad...it's the Jews, etc.. It makes people turn away from looking at the government and instead focuses them on an enemy that is a minority and easy to act against. It makes people feel good to see the Jews hauled off, because they are the cause of all their problems. Read some of the stuff about how the French gleefully turned over Jews to the Nazis if you don't believe me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can I read about that? I remember my college History Prof. saying something about that but haven't come across much reading material on it.
Also to what extent do you think anti-semitism still exists in France (I know they have a considerable Arab minority)?
Old 09-01-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great thread OP, well done.

I admittedly know very little about Hitler, although have heard that he would have soldiers take amphetamines so as to a) more easily control them, and b) keep them awake and alert for long periods.

Is this true? Also, did Hitler himself abuse drugs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once the War started going bad he was injected with Amphetamines everyday by his personal physician/drug dealer Dr.Morell. I do not know of any instances of him ordering soldiers to take amphetamines. That would probably be a logistical supply nightmare anyway. I do know that many kamikaze pilots took amphetamines as it made one almost fearless. His abuse of amphetamines is almost certainly what caused his shaking hand and onset of Parkinson's disease.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Japanese first sythesised Methampetamine during WW2 and it was given regularly to soliders. Amps were given to german soldiers regularly also; much the reason why they could pull off the Blitzkrieg since they needed little sleep. Also I am 99% sure Hitlers daily injection was meth.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:05 AM

Old 09-02-2007, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hitler was not a literate one trick pony. It is very possible that Hitler was more widely read than just about anyone that ever lived (if not it would be close.) And he remembered everything he ever read. For the years when he was busto all he did was read books from the library. He read everything he could on art, theatre, opera, architecture, politics, history, etc.

This is why everyone had such trouble disputing his arguments, he had such a voluminous knowledge of everything that he could just exhibit pedantic displays of information overload until the opponent would retreat, feeling intellectually inferior.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read a lot of this thread, but I caught this piece of [censored] hero worship.