Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: TP2K, pot control vs protection

[ QUOTE ]
even though this hand comes down to a pretty easy pf decision, the title still brings up an intersting topic. i have had a lot of arguments with people over how to play marginal hands (say KT) in position, when we make a pair with our king.

i check behind in that situation a lot, because against a lot of players, i get called by better hands, and folds as well as raises from worse hands. (especially if i opened from the button). since my hand can't stand a raise, sometimes i prefer to check and work from the turn, where i will often be bet into by worse hands, and can call two reasonable bets without playing for a huge pot.

my largest point of disagreement with most people is the presence of draws on the board. my thinking is that against agressive players, i'm not really protecting my hand from draws with big bets, because the draw is actually a better hand than mine. the draw knows when it is ahead and when it is behind, and i don't. if my opponent is a station that will just call to a draw, i would be betting for value regardless of whether or not there was a draw present in the first place.

sometimes i will take the same approach with 8/9 out hands after raising on the button or CO versus an agressive player in the blinds. as of yet, though, i haven't really come up with any good guidelines to use in either situation, other than very obvious ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daycare...I have no idea what you are talking about. Most draws are not as good as a pair and no draw is as good as a pair with one card left to come (not even a open ended straight draw, flush draw, and 2 overs).

It would ahve to be something like:

Player A has QsJs
Player B has 6d6c

Board is Td Ks Ts 3h

Then if a K comes it counterfeights the 66 so it's 24 outs for the QJ. Right now that is the worst draw I can think of that is a favorite over any pair with 1 card to come.

And I don't get why you think that against aggressive players you won't be extracting value and protecting your pair from a draw by betting.

NOT BETTING THE FLOP IN THESE SITUATIONS WOULD BE JUST TERRIBLE.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Weak flop leads OOP are usually either weak made hands or draws. Either way your line is fine. TP2K is not usually a three-streets-of-value hand against typical villains.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:18 PM

i would fold KJ pre but as played i think its fine. I know we dont like building large pots with this type of hand but his flop donk has to raised. I'd bet more like 15 on turn.
As for river i'd prob check but i think i miss value in these spots but i never feel happy betting 1pair hands 3times. maybe bet 18/20 to catch weaker Js?