Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 03:28 PM

Default WITHG applicable to SSSH?

This post in the micro forum suggests that one should be careful to not misapply the advice Stox gives in low stakes games. What else should a SSSH player be aware of when reading this book to avoid misapplying it?
Old 08-01-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Re: WITHG applicable to SSSH?

Stox is pretty good about describing the types of players certain tactics and lines will work against, but figuring out how those types manifest in a SSSH game can be tricky.

A lot of the more aggro blind defense stuff probably is best left out until you get at least to 5/10, for example.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What else should a SSSH player be aware of when reading this book to avoid misapplying it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything that involves attempting to get a player to fold a hand for which he has shown a liking is a candidate for being toned down in lower stakes games. At least, in the lower stakes games I play. You won't make me fold a pair/ace/nut no pair. No sir.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:51 PM

stox talks about the right time to 3-bet semi-bluff the turn

I suggest never doing that in a small stakes game
Old 08-01-2007, 08:21 PM

I think the question in the subject of this thread is not the question we should ask, and I will try to explain why.

Stox plays the same game it's only the numbers that has a couple of more zeros than at our games. If stox and his regular opponents would play a 2/4 game and play their best, it would not differ from when they play a 150/300 game. It's the players not the stakes that matters.

Off course the general characterisics of a typical player differs with stakes, and stox covers that in the beginning of his book (p.11 i think). You can't say that one of stox advice is not applicable at a certain stake. If you're at a table with only loose-passive fish you won't use many advanced plays, since you just bet and raise for value and semi-bluff you strong draws. But if you happens to sit at a table with the only the best players at your limit, well then you need more of stox knowledge to survive.

If you monitor your opponents closely you'll know when you'll have to use more advanced play (such as in WITHG) and when you should play more ABC-poker. Instead of asking if stox book is applicable to small stakes, we should ask what kind of strategy we should use against each player at our table. Does it make any sense?
Old 08-01-2007, 08:45 PM

well said Gvasa -

applying ANY theory across game TYPES is not a good strategy - EXPLOITING tendencies at any limit is the goal.

If someone calls too much, dont bluff! value bet relentlessly.

If someone folds too much BLUFF..value bet with a tighter range.

etc. etc. etc.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well said Gvasa -

[/ QUOTE ]

this goes into my CV [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]