Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 10:55 PM

Default Entering finance world

I've always been interested in finance, trading, etc etc...but the problem is I have no background in it. I majored in chemistry undergrad, went on to get a masters in public health and currently hold a position in that field.

My question is: How would I go about switching fields? What kind of background do finance types look for, and is there a post-graduate degree that would help me out? I'm still in my mid 20's, so I'm definitely not committed to my career, single, no debt. Can anyone give me some info? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:42 AM

Default Re: Entering finance world

You won't need to go back to school if you decide to become a trader. From what I understand trading firms love candidates with strong science backgrounds. You should apply to a firm like Optiver (market maker) or Susquahanna(assistant trader).
Old 06-29-2007, 05:27 PM

Bump...127 views and no one has anything else to add?? Please give me some advice!!
Old 06-29-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always been interested in finance, trading, etc etc...but the problem is I have no background in it. I majored in chemistry undergrad, went on to get a masters in public health and currently hold a position in that field.

My question is: How would I go about switching fields? What kind of background do finance types look for, and is there a post-graduate degree that would help me out? I'm still in my mid 20's, so I'm definitely not committed to my career, single, no debt. Can anyone give me some info? Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like you are a good candidate for an MBA. study your ass of to ace the boards (GMAT) and get into the best school you can, or one that offers the best alumni network + best school you can so that you are able to get contacts in the firms at which you'd like to target (intern then work)

i.e. NYU , Columbia, Duke, wharton (big academic finance center), NWrn, and so on.

then once there, place out of statistics & use all extra credits towards finance.

GOGOGO

Barron
Old 07-02-2007, 07:18 PM

I have a good number of friends in finance (I myself am a software developer). It seems to me that a lot of people get jobs through connections, either currently in place in the industry or through their B-school connections. For example I have a friend who had two computer science degrees, worked for a defense contractor for almost 3 years, and just 2 months ago up and moved to Manhattan to be a trader.

Do you know anybody who could hook you up?

If your degrees are from high-powered schools, you should have no problem walking in the door at some firms. If they are not, the B-School route is probably your best bet.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:55 PM

MBA standard LDO
profit