Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2006, 10:24 PM

Default Aces in loose passive games

Got a question about Aces at PLO $50 (I'm an NL$200 player and am overrolled for that, too, but after establishing that I really suck at PLO, I decided that I should play the $50 game until I can prove I am a winner).

Here's the thing, the games are extremely loose-passive. I think I see only about one preflop 3-bet an hour. So basically, it's [censored] impossible to get much of your stack in preflop.

Until now, my strategy has been to raise preflop with basically any good hand (4 connecting cards, KKQJ, QQJT, decent rundown hands, an Ace with two broadways and a dangler that suits the Ace, any AAxx, etc) and to limp in with stuff like (KK/QQ/JJ)xx where xx is garbage trying to flop a set, and to occasionally limp-rr with rundown hands and with AAxx.

I've been 3-betting preflop with AAxx and with rundown hands, but not with the hands like KKJQ that are not so hot if you get 4-bet.

But I'm never getting 4-bet preflop and I'm often stuck in spots where I need to improve to win with AAxx. So basically every time I 3-bet with rundown hands I am happy because if an A flops I take it down, and often if the flop is raggedy I've flopped a decent draw. But whenever I 3-bet with AAxx I feel lost.

Should I be 3-betting even more, with those KKQJ hands and AKQJ hands, and AKQx where x suits the A?
Old 12-03-2006, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Aces in loose passive games

From everything I've read in regards to PLO it is correct to attempt to isolate one opponent with AAxx and get as much money as possible in preflop, however I HATE THIS IDEA.

1. Usually when someone max's out preflop it's AA and very predictable and they usually always fire out a PSB on the flop regardless, this gives enormous implied odds for a wrap draw to call you.

2. Limping or making a small pot building raise gives you a pot worth fighting over if you make a set or something to draw with and easy to get away from if you don't.

I'm sure AA has been the bain of many new Omaha player's bankroll, play it strong but sensible and be happy to throw when the flop comes nasty.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:07 AM

Not all aces are equal, raggedy aces are a pain deep stacked and if you raise & re-raise them you have to play very well with them post flop, while just calling will often give you great implied odds and they play quiet easily, especially if you are aggressive enough with other hands preflop that middle set thinks you would definately have raised AA preflop and stacks off to you.

In my opinion ragged aces play very similar to a small pair in holdem, mostly your looking to flop a set but sometimes they are good postflop and it takes judgment to know when.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:49 AM

I'm not a big fan of reraising before the flop in Omaha, particularly in loose games. The only time I really reraise is if I think I can isolate a player that I have a good read on, with position.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:43 AM

My general thought on three-betting in PLO is that it only works if your short-stacked enough to get in over 60% of your stack preflop or deep enough that someone who 4-bets you won't be able to get more than 30% of their stack in. The rest of the time, just call or fold to raises with all of your hands and try to outplay people postflop.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My general thought on three-betting in PLO is that it only works if your short-stacked enough to get in over 60% of your stack preflop or deep enough that someone who 4-bets you won't be able to get more than 30% of their stack in. The rest of the time, just call or fold to raises with all of your hands and try to outplay people postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

weak sauce
Old 12-05-2006, 12:46 PM

I know this is results oriented. But the last live 10-25 PLO session I played with tightish players- 3 betting flop with aces worked very well. Do a continuation bet on flop and fire a 2nd bullet on the turn and hope they fold. It is +EV move, but of course you always take a chance someone will outflop you.