Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 11-15-2006, 03:23 AM

Default What is my river play here? $15-30 Bellagio.

$15-30 Bellagio. Unknown kinda wierdo sits down to my right. I have seen him play only one hand during the first orbit. Otherwise tight table with a couple lags. My image is unimportant as villian has not seen me play either.

UTG AKd. I raise. Field folds to villian in BB. He calls. Flop is 10 high with 2 diamonds. Villian bets, I raise. Villian calls. Turn is a Q. I bet. Villian calls. River is a brick that completes nothing. Villian bets out.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:51 AM

Default Re: What is my river play here? $15-30 Bellagio.

If you're going to call the river, I think you should check the turn behind. Giving a free card to him if you're ahead isn't too big a deal in this relatively small pot heads up. And I don't expect him to fold a better hand than yours to the turn bet, so it may be best to just take your own freebie. Use your position -- you got the card, you have a gutshot, a flush draw, and overs. And his bet on the river will be an induced bluff more often. As it is, I don't think he expects to fold a better hand than his with this river donk, so it looks like a value bet that doesn't want to give AK a free showdown.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to call the river, I think you should check the turn behind. Giving a free card to him if you're ahead isn't too big a deal in this relatively small pot heads up. And I don't expect him to fold a better hand than yours to the turn bet, so it may be best to just take your own freebie. Use your position -- you got the card, you have a gutshot, a flush draw, and overs. And his bet on the river will be an induced bluff more often. As it is, I don't think he expects to fold a better hand than his with this river donk, so it looks like a value bet that doesn't want to give AK a free showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much what he said.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:26 AM

I disagree completely with checking behind. There are some hands that beat you that he might fold. Small pp, one of the other two cards on the flop that you didn't mention and maybe even a 10. If he does call, fine your hand is still really live and you might get a free showdown. Or if you make your hand you get an extra bet. As for what happened I think you played it correctly up till the river if you fold the river. From his perspective he can't think you'll just fold to a complete bluff. The only thing that I might do differently is smooth call the flop and raise the turn. If you do that you will get a lot more credit for a big hand than the standard small bet raise in position that everyone does when they have AK. Villain's river bet looks like a value bet with a pair. I've seen this in the 30 game alot, people donk the river with a hand that they would call with anyway. Like if he has a 10 but he doesn't think you can raise so it costs him the same and sometimes he gets paid off by A high or 99.
But I think you would be making a huge mistake checking the turn.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:12 AM

The problem with the flop raise is that he's not going to fold anything here. It's easy to put you on a flush draw if he has a T and think he's ahead. He's likely to slow down and give you a free card on the turn though with that flop raise. I think the turn card is a perfect card for you semi-bluff raise. If he has a T or something smaller he's like to give you credit for a queen. If he calls then I'm checking the river and folding if he bets into me.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:27 AM

call the flop.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:36 PM

Fold the river.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:15 PM

I play in 15-30 at Bellagio almost everyday. The players in these games are constantly and consistently making moves. Betting a busted flush draw on the river is not uncommon. There are a few players, easily recognizable after a few orbits, that one would fold to a bet on a river given the way this hand went down but in most bellagio 15-30 cases one must make a crying call on the river. Betting the turn is opponent dependant and not unreasonable, probably the best play against an unknown. The reasons for betting the turn are (1) you think you are ahead (2) you believe the opponent may lay down a better hand. (3) future hand play (4) it is probably better to bet if you are unsure of whether you are ahead or behind.

pokerisme
Old 11-15-2006, 11:22 PM

take the freecard you paid for.

fold to the river bet. given the action i dont think hes usually betting a hand you can beat.