Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 08-17-2006, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Stars $11r Hand: QQ UTG vs. BB

[ QUOTE ]
I assume you made that weak flop bet specifically to get Villain to raise you here occasionally with a worse hand. If that was not your intention, then either lead stronger on the flop or check.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I'd make that same bet with AA or AK here. I think I have the best hand. I want to get called. I don't necessarily want to get raised but making small flop bets can certainly induce something like that. And for that reason I did call the check-raise. I wouldn't consider re-raising as I highly doubt I'll get called by a worst hand.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're toast. fold.

typical 10r guy isnt jamming his 88 here when an a turns...because he isnt thinking that guy could never have an A, he is thinking, [censored] that's an A, its a big card and a bad one for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
I personally think I took a pretty strong line. Raising UTG, make what appears to some as a weak and others a strong flop bet, and then just calling his raise. I think this fairly accurately represents AA or AK. For him to shove the A turn I'm having a fairly tough time putting him on a hand that I'm ahead.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:06 PM

Doesn't the player who reads your bet as weak and therefore reraises with air also push any flop?

We can't pick and choose when the guy is a thinking player.

Brad
Old 08-17-2006, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't the player who reads your bet as weak and therefore reraises with air also push any flop?

We can't pick and choose when the guy is a thinking player.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]
I have never suggested that he wasn't a thinking player. Some people put him in a category of "typical $11r donk" but all that I've said is that he's been a little loose. That alone doesn't mean you're weak. On another note, I hadn't been playing a ton of hands with raises. Chris Moneymaker was 3 to my left and seeing about half of the flops (raised or otherwise). So I probably am being seen (correctly) as a pretty tight player in terms of raises (I was limping in position but not raising JUST because I was in position).

If an Ace doesn't come on the turn I think I insta-call. But with an Ace, and I don't necessarily think he's just a donk, it appears that he's pretty confident he's ahead.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:13 PM

I think we see this line most of the time by A6, maybe half the time when he has a K, and plenty of bluffs that hit there A. I dont think middle pairs are jamming too often.

My main problem with calling is I think he had air a decent amount of the time on the flop. A common BB protection hand is AX.