Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2006, 12:30 PM

Default Cashier\'s checks

I'm going to Paris for the WPT event. I'm leaving tommorow. I'm trying to figure out what the best way to take money over there is. Right now I'm torn between wiring the money over and hoping it gets there quickly, trying to scrape together what cash I can and buying money off people I know there, or taking a cashier's check. Is a cashier's check safe? What if I lose it? Do you recommend it as a good way of carrying money? Thanks.

Also, do you have to declare cashier's checks to customs as you leave the US?

Crossposted because the bank will close soon enough.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Cashier\'s checks

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to Paris for the WPT event. I'm leaving tommorow. I'm trying to figure out what the best way to take money over there is. Right now I'm torn between wiring the money over and hoping it gets there quickly, trying to scrape together what cash I can and buying money off people I know there, or taking a cashier's check. Is a cashier's check safe? What if I lose it? Do you recommend it as a good way of carrying money? Thanks.

Also, do you have to declare cashier's checks to customs as you leave the US?

Crossposted because the bank will close soon enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Traveller's Checks are much better than Cashier's Checks if you're travelling abroad. If you lose the Cashier's Check/ its stolen, you may be out the cash. If you lose a traveler's check/its stolen, you're not.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Traveller's Checks are much better than Cashier's Checks if you're travelling abroad. If you lose the Cashier's Check/ its stolen, you may be out the cash. If you lose a traveler's check/its stolen, you're not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cashier's checks can have stop payments on the just like any other check. You're not out the cash. Just be sure to keep a record of the issuing bank and the check # somewhere separate from the check itself.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Traveller's Checks

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll probably have an easier time cashing them then a (foreign) cashier's check (although I admit I have limited experience in this area)

J
Old 06-09-2006, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Traveller's Checks

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll probably have an easier time cashing them then a (foreign) cashier's check (although I admit I have limited experience in this area)

J

[/ QUOTE ]

filling out all the forms and signing a million travellers cheques twice is going to be a pain in the ass. i believe the biggest ones are $1000, and those might be tough to find. and you have to fill out some stupid form for each one, since they dont come in multipacks. for high rollers like tongni, travellers cheques will be a pain in the ass.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:39 PM

Call AMEX travel services and see what they can do. I doubt you'll get much good info about French banks and AMEX travel offices are everywhere in every big city.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:11 PM

When I was in deauville for EPT, I just brought my credit card with a huge limit on it. Had no issues at all.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:33 AM

cashiers checks will not be cashed at all unless it is from your own bank in the u.s. cashed in the same bank in france and you have that much in your account as well.. like b of a or citibank. traverlers checks wont be cashed except for smaller amounts upto maybe 500 total. take cash and declare if 10,000.
use a credit card for expeditures they all take those.
you may luck out and find places to cash larger amounts of either but dont bank your trip on it. take cash for your gambling and credit cards for spending.
with the ease of photocopying now no one in business would think of taking a piece of paper from someone they dont know and giving money for it.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
cashiers checks will not be cashed at all unless it is from your own bank in the u.s. cashed in the same bank in france and you have that much in your account as well.. like b of a or citibank. traverlers checks wont be cashed except for smaller amounts upto maybe 500 total. take cash and declare if 10,000.
use a credit card for expeditures they all take those.
you may luck out and find places to cash larger amounts of either but dont bank your trip on it. take cash for your gambling and credit cards for spending.
with the ease of photocopying now no one in business would think of taking a piece of paper from someone they dont know and giving money for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Orly? I cashed $5k of travelers cheques at the Atlantis in the Bahamas when I was down there for the dise conquest