Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Taking a break from Poker - LONG & Low Content

Also, when you come back, don't play tournaments way over your roll. I understand taking shots, but let's not get too frisky.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:50 PM

Just one comment: I think that you should never play poker again. I don't say this in a mean-spirited way, but rather am just being honest. You are pretty misguided in your statement that all poker players experience the same kind of polarized emotions as you do. Far from cry, I have accepted short-term variance to the point where I don't even blink an eye when I drop 10 BIs in a session, etc (my BIs are fairly large and I am fairly young, so think about this).. I just go and take a break, make a sandwich, have a few drinks, go out and have a good time with my friends... there is just so much more to life. If poker ever affected me beyond minimal aggravation at standard runs of bad cards, I would never play again - the stress is just not worth it IMO. You were playing at low enough levels where the money is just in no way enough to compensate ever feeling the sort of polarized emotions that you did... Just walk away from the game forever, and spend time with family and friends. Or thats my opinion, anyways.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:11 PM

How many buy-ins do you have if you are comfortable dropping 10 BIs?
Old 11-18-2007, 07:21 PM

Although I generally agree that most people who play poker could probably do better by not playing, I would add some things to what you said as I think quitting may be a little harsh. The first is, just play donkaments at a comfortable, treat it like a hobby level. That is, just write off the cost. Secondly, emotional stability *can* be learned. Although nearly everyone has some degree of tilt, I used to be much, much worse, as I basically had learned tilt from the live games I grew up in, i.e. I thought tilt was what you did. But now I am something approaching one million times better. But it's hard. And you really have to want to do it. And you have to see that achieving it is something worthwhile, i.e. read Tommy.

gl

bdd
Old 11-18-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just one comment: I think that you should never play poker again. I don't say this in a mean-spirited way, but rather am just being honest. You are pretty misguided in your statement that all poker players experience the same kind of polarized emotions as you do. Far from cry, I have accepted short-term variance to the point where I don't even blink an eye when I drop 10 BIs in a session, etc (my BIs are fairly large and I am fairly young, so think about this).. I just go and take a break, make a sandwich, have a few drinks, go out and have a good time with my friends... there is just so much more to life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Life is going to be full of disappointments and there is no reason to shy away from them in hobbies even.

I treat poker like a hobby and there have definitely been disappointing moments, which I have also experienced with my other hobbies (and real life too). But that is offset by many positive aspects that success (especially after hard work) has brought.

If it is all bad or the bad greatly outweighs the good, then it doesn't make sense to continue. But I don't think either of us can know that about the OP. And therefore it may be a little overboard to say never play poker again.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:32 PM

If you were a guy, you would have been flamed to death for this.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-19-2007, 11:23 AM

good choice, to be a good poker player, you have to be in good condition, and it seems that you have too many things to deal with...

Poker is the part you can stop (for a time), and when your situation will be better, we'll be happy to see you again ;o) and win some donkaments!

take care, and best hope to your bf's mother .
Old 11-19-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's akin to me saying if I was a women, I could easily play in the WNBA. That's b.s because if I was a women I wouldn't have the same physical/emotional makeup I do now.

If she were a guy, there is very little chance this would of happened. I cannot imagine a guy breaking down and crying after losing a tournament and being berated by another player. I do think it's very understandable for a woman though.

Women don't just cry once every 6-18 months.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's akin to me saying if I was a women, I could easily play in the WNBA. That's b.s because if I was a women I wouldn't have the same physical/emotional makeup I do now.

If she were a guy, there is very little chance this would of happened. I cannot imagine a guy breaking down and crying after losing a tournament and being berated by another player. I do think it's very understandable for a woman though.

Women don't just cry once every 6-18 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

thing is, everybody wouldīve made fun of her thinking she could beat the big buy-in omaha tournaments after winning more or less random micro buy-in donkaments if she wasnīt female. every guy wouldīve been flamed to death for just about everything she wrote ever since the 1st donkament. not being mean or anything, but thatīs just 2plus2, right?

i wish her all the best though.