Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Re: So I\'m going to Prison for 2 years

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I know you aren't suggesting that standards for driving drunk should be affected by tolerance, right? 5 beers in an alcoholic may affect him less than me, but it still affects him significantly negatively.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then let's go straight to zero tolerance laws, right? Obviously how affected a person is is very important, and the law is set based on estimates of where on average a good line is. This is just because there isn't really a better way to do it.

Do you guys ever speed? Have conversations while driving (I won't even get into cell phones)?

[/ QUOTE ]

me:apples
youranges
me:...
you:see shuttup
me: ok
Old 11-24-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just can't bring myself to point out for the millionth effing time in these threads how artificially low .08 is and how the proselytizers probably drive over that limit fairly regularly without even realizing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

God what a [censored] Faustian choice: To ignore these [censored] who have nothing better to do than act holier than thou when people are down, VS to point out to the douches that they are douches, thereby derailing an otherwise great thread.

I guess I choose the latter, because I just can't abide you barca lounger judge judys in silence.

[/ QUOTE ]

5 beers in an hour in a 180lb male blows a .08

I've never had more than 2 and drove.

[/ QUOTE ]

IKE,

I've read your subsequent posts but I'll respond specifically to this one. You can't assume that someone dropped 5-6 beers in an hour because they are > .08. 6 beers over 4 hours = > .08 according to the BAC calc someone posted.

My main point btw was not to defend drunk driving, but to comment on the attitude of some people who regard this thread as an opportunity to alleviate their own low self-esteem by passing judgment on someone they don't know who is already in a tough situation.

Secondarily I completely agree with Tuq that .08 is way too low and I speak as someone who has conducted research on cognitive impairment from alcohol.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Then let's go straight to zero tolerance laws, right? Obviously how affected a person is is very important, and the law is set based on estimates of where on average a good line is. This is just because there isn't really a better way to do it.

Do you guys ever speed? Have conversations while driving (I won't even get into cell phones)?

[/ QUOTE ]

me:apples
youranges
me:...
you:see shuttup
me: ok

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think conversing while driving impairs your ability to focus on driving? EDIT: If we're not talking about impairment, then what the [censored] are we talking about?
Old 11-24-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are two types of tolerance at work with alcohol. The first is metabolic tolerance in which the alcohol is metabolized at a higher rate (up to 72% more quickly) in chronic users. Because of the higher metabolic rate for alcohol lower peak blood alcohol concentrations are achieved by chronic alcohol users than the average drinker when the same amount of alcohol is ingested.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.intox.com/physiology.asp

[/ QUOTE ]

ikestoys: acknowledge that through science I just pwned you

[/ QUOTE ]

no you didn't

you are assuming the body has had a reasonable amount of time to process the alcohol. If you and I take three shots of tequila and measure our BAC's, they'll be the same.

re-science-pwnage ftw.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

no you didn't

you are assuming the body has had a reasonable amount of time to process the alcohol. If you and I take three shots of tequila and measure our BAC's, they'll be the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it going to take some time to get the alcohol into your blood in the first place?
Old 11-24-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are two types of tolerance at work with alcohol. The first is metabolic tolerance in which the alcohol is metabolized at a higher rate (up to 72% more quickly) in chronic users. Because of the higher metabolic rate for alcohol lower peak blood alcohol concentrations are achieved by chronic alcohol users than the average drinker when the same amount of alcohol is ingested.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.intox.com/physiology.asp

[/ QUOTE ]

ikestoys: acknowledge that through science I just pwned you

[/ QUOTE ]

no you didn't

re-science-pwnage ftw.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol reading comprehension = fail

an alcoholic / person with higher alcohol tolerance will register a lower BAC after an equivalent amount of alcohol intake than someone with no tolerance/low tolerance. that was my point. you just replied "false", and you're wrong. stop acting like god's word on all things drunk driving in this thread ffs, it's getting old.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just can't bring myself to point out for the millionth effing time in these threads how artificially low .08 is and how the proselytizers probably drive over that limit fairly regularly without even realizing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

God what a [censored] Faustian choice: To ignore these [censored] who have nothing better to do than act holier than thou when people are down, VS to point out to the douches that they are douches, thereby derailing an otherwise great thread.

I guess I choose the latter, because I just can't abide you barca lounger judge judys in silence.

[/ QUOTE ]

5 beers in an hour in a 180lb male blows a .08

I've never had more than 2 and drove.

[/ QUOTE ]

IKE,

I've read your subsequent posts but I'll respond specifically to this one. You can't assume that someone dropped 5-6 beers in an hour because they are > .08. 6 beers over 4 hours = > .08 according to the BAC calc someone posted.

My main point btw was not to defend drunk driving, but to comment on the attitude of some people who regard this thread as an opportunity to alleviate their own low self-esteem by passing judgment on someone they don't know who is already in a tough situation.

Secondarily I completely agree with Tuq that .08 is way too low and I speak as someone who has conducted research on cognitive impairment from alcohol.

[/ QUOTE ]
-We are alleviating our self-esteem. (not me at least)
-Whether or not you drink 5 beers in a hour or 6 beers over 4, you are the same "amount of drunk" and are not safe to drive. The quoted BAC stat shows that you shouldn't be driving for a significant period after ingesting 5 beers, not that .08 is too low.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

no you didn't

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it going to take some time to get the alcohol into your blood in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

alcohol diffuses in your body at just a little slower rate than water. your body doesn't process it fast at all.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you know all those poker bad beats stories you hear, do you actually believe all of them? People like to dress themselves up in the best way possible to the outside world, even if you are their best friend or some stranger at the bar

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course they do. But I would rather err on the side of caution and give some folks whose opinion I respect the benefit of the doubt than give authority absolute power to do things like illegal stops and tell everyone who complains that they're a bunch of whiners and that their stories are BS. You seem perfectly content dismissing everyone with a complaint, no matter how legitimate or otherwise. I am not fine doing that, and would like to think I can judge for myself the credibility of these outcomes, and thanks to the internet there are reams of data/links that back up that things have gone too far.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it clearly implies that you think that OP should be punished severely because he was blackout.... aka he's not responsible for his actions because he was blackout.

[/ QUOTE ]

Youīre reading something into my post that simply isnīt there, but: No, I donīt believe in "punishment" for actions that a person never intended to perform, canīt recall to have performed, and severely regrets to have performed.