Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 02:20 AM

Default Good Starter Set of Clubs.. thoughts on PING G5?

so.. ive asked around a few people, im getting into golf again since it seems to be the thing to do, and i was wondering what a good starter set is. ive heard various things, but everyone seems to agree that a set of Ping G5's would do very nicely. also, what would the difference be between steel shaft and graphite shafts for someone getting back into the game? money isnt really an issue. thanks!
Old 10-16-2007, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Good Starter Set of Clubs.. thoughts on PING G5?

They are good irons, although I believe that they have been replaced by the G10s if price isn't an issue. If I were in your shoes I'd probably buy a set of Callaway X20s, although this is more of a personal brand preference thing than a quality difference (both sets will be great for someone in your position).

I'd go with steel shafts; although graphite iron shafts are getting better I usually only see old people/hackers with graphite in their irons, and regardless of quality you don't want to look like a hacker or an old person now do you?

Whatever you decide take half an hour and hit them first, various models, shafts, get yourself custom fitted if possible, whatever (esp. since money isn't an issue).
Old 10-16-2007, 12:34 PM

raptor,

As blah blah said, I think steel shafts are the clear choice, but I'm not much of an equipment nut so if there's a case to be made for graphite I'd like to hear it.

Also, I love Pings, I'm on my third set in the last twenty years. Can't go wrong with them, just make sure you get O-size and not Blades, in case you are buying them online or something.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raptor,

As blah blah said, I think steel shafts are the clear choice, but I'm not much of an equipment nut so if there's a case to be made for graphite I'd like to hear it.

Also, I love Pings, I'm on my third set in the last twenty years. Can't go wrong with them, just make sure you get O-size and not Blades, in case you are buying them online or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they stopped doing that O-size thing with the G5's. What would have been Blades are the i5's. In fact, they may have started the whole Gx/ix thing with the G2's.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] PING (even though I suck)

ETA: tup, could you please change my undertitle to the default? That area is not Mike Haven's personal playground.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:52 PM

Got it. If you want something else let me know.

I didn't know that about the newer Pings. See, I suck at knowing about equipment, even the only type I've ever owned. I'm currently using Eye3s.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:54 PM

If money isn't an issue, go get fit for clubs. They may cost no more right now and will likely cost you less in the long term. If you get good fitting stuff now you won't feel the need to swap sets of iirons or get the latest driver every year. Odds are graphite shafts in the irons will be a waste of money. Spend money on clubs that fit. Spend the money for graphite shafts in the woods. Spend on the right putter. Otherwise if you are just getting a starter set get steel shafted irons.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Got it. If you want something else let me know.

I didn't know that about the newer Pings. See, I suck at knowing about equipment, even the only type I've ever owned. I'm currently using Eye3s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here...we're now five sets (i3+, G2, G5, Rapture, G10) behind, I think. Hopefully by next year I can get a non-counterfeit G5 driver for $100 on ebay. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2007, 02:16 PM

something I also forgot to mention yesterday: Definitely get a hybrid or two to replace your long irons (I'd recommend a 2 hybrid and 3 hybrid, or a 3 hybrid and 4 hybrid). They are incredibly easy to hit, especially compared with long irons. I'd recommend the Callaway X Hybrid/Fusion or the Ping G10/Rapture. Personally I like steel shafts in my hybrids (but not my fairway woods), again your mileage may vary so try them out beforehand.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:13 PM

graphite, lol
Old 10-17-2007, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've also had the I3's for several years now, until my clubs were stolen a couple of months back.

I went to the golf shop w/ plans on getting either the Callaway X-20's, or one of the new Ping models.

I walked out with a set of Adams irons that featured hybrids all the way from the 3 iron to 6 iron, and it has made a massive, massive difference in my game. I actually use my 3 and 4 for something other than punching out from the trees, and I am much more confident with my 5 and 6 iron shots now (I thought I'd dislike so many hybrids, but it almost feels like cheating now from 165 and out).