Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Pokerstars on Mac....

Is there a certain mac laptop that allows this...If not, what should I do that would allow pokerstars on mac?
Old 07-31-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Pokerstars on Mac....

buy a dell?

Old 07-31-2007, 04:32 PM

The new Intel Macs can run Windows with Parallels, so just use PokerStars in that.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:39 PM

OMG PLZ SEARCH I HAVE ANSWERED THIS SOOO MANY TIMES 1500 OF MY POSTS ARE ABOUT THIS
Old 07-31-2007, 04:51 PM

Everyone else is going to flame you and say that you should read the forums before posting because this has been covered several times before, and that you should probably post this question in the software forum rather than here. They're probably right. But I've been toying with getting a MacBook Pro myself, and have done some homework on this ..and I'm feeling uncharacteristically helpful today..so here goes:

Any recent mac laptop (the ones with the Intel processors) can be booted into Windows, via a program available for free from Apple called "Boot Camp". To do this, you also need a legit copy of Windows. Note also, that if you boot into Windows via Boot Camp, you will have no access to the Mac side of your machine--it will be, for all intents and purposes, another standard Windows machine. If you want to run some Mac applications, you'll have to exit PokerStars, and reboot your machine into OS X--so it's sort of a PITA.

The solution that most people appear to be using is something called "virtualization". This requires a third party virtualization program (about $80), and again, a legit copy of Windows. When you do this, you're calling upon your system to be "split in half" in a sense..part of your CPU runs Windows in what they call a "virtual machine". From there, you can download and install 'Stars, or whatever other Windows software you like, and run it side by side with your Mac applications. The first virtualization program on the market was called "Parallels" (google it), and was a big hit, just because of the uber-coolness of it all. More recently, another product from a long-established company in the virtualization business has come out, called "VMWare Fusion" (google it). Fusion seems to be coming on strong, and may well become the preferred program over Parallels in the near future.

FWIW, just as a "proof of concept", I have in fact used Parallels to play on PokerStars successfully on an iMac at my local Apple store. The thing works, and it's pretty slick.

A third option is to try a program called "CrossOver Mac" from a company called CodeWeavers. This one is a little bit different, since it does NOT require the user to have Windows. This program "emulates" certain aspects of the Windows code, to allow the user to run certain, SUPPORTED Windows applications. The biggies, like Office, are certified as being supported by CodeWeavers. They do not officially support PokerStars; the anecdotal reports from those who have tried is that it works fine--but you're kind of on your own for support if you have a problem.

Lastly: PokerStars IS working on a version of their software for Mac. This would avoid the whole issue, naturally, as you wouldn't have to do the whole dual boot/virtualization/emulation thing. But the project seems to be moving very slowly. Right now, there is a version of it available. If you're a current 'Stars customer, you can ask them to send you a copy of the software--but this is not for use on the regular Pokerstars site. You'd be playing on a separate site for play money only, for the purposes of helping them test the software and find bugs, etc. If you do, maybe they'll give you some FPPs or something.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:11 PM

Good post.

I'm running Stars and Poker Tracker on Parallels and its the [censored]. Also I use both operating systems at the same time whic is nice. I just make the parallels screen smaller which is still very effective.

Diomed