Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Resteal or Stop n go?

Ok, here's a hand from 1.20/45 from stars. There's about 13 people left, my table is currently 6 handed. Blinds are 200/400 with I think 25 ante.

Stacks,

Hero is BB with ~5900
Villain is CO with ~10,000

Reads, Villain has been fairly aggressive with his bigstack. Playing it well, putting pressure on the smaller stacks at the table, but not getting involved with the other big stack ~11,000.

Hero holds K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Folded to Villain who raises to 1800. Folded to Hero.

Which is better in this spot? Resteal, or Stop and go?

I have a lot of trouble with these two moves, deciding when it's best to do one or the other. This might not even matter here since it's a $1 buy in and you get a lot of crazy play in these, but disregarding the buy in, what would be the best move?
Old 05-03-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Resteal or Stop n go?

puuush... you are well ahead of his raising range and have decent folding equity.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:45 PM

I always try to decide which move increases my FE ... in this game I'm not sure it matters

I shove this
Old 05-03-2007, 04:46 PM

resteal definitely. and by resteal, i mean push. not sure how you plan on restealing without committing yourself anyway.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:01 PM

Push
Old 05-03-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
puuush... you are well ahead of his raising range and have decent folding equity.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-03-2007, 06:00 PM

If you pushed it wouldn't be a "resteal" because your hand has got value, and I'm assuming you think you'll be ahead most times.

If you had to choose one, I think a stop-n-go easily gives you the most fold equity. Reason being that you'll be able to fold out a lot of weak aces on bricked flops, which I think would be a large part of his range here.

That being said, you've got plenty of chips and don't need to get desperate yet. I don't think folding is a bad play at all.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you pushed it wouldn't be a "resteal" because your hand has got value, and I'm assuming you think you'll be ahead most times.

If you had to choose one, I think a stop-n-go easily gives you the most fold equity. Reason being that you'll be able to fold out a lot of weak aces on bricked flops, which I think would be a large part of his range here.

That being said, you've got plenty of chips and don't need to get desperate yet. I don't think folding is a bad play at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plenty of chips??? Hero has less than 15BB in a fast moving structure with an ante. A fold here would be horrendous IMO.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:20 PM

Deff. shove this without thinking twice
Old 05-03-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Plenty of chips??? Hero has less than 15BB in a fast moving structure with an ante. A fold here would be horrendous IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

15BB is hardly a situation where its a "must" to get all in preflop against a bigstack raiser. I don't think pushing gives us a lot of fold equity since villan has some chips to gamble with, and people at these stakes would not think twice about insta-calling 22 or A-5 etc. I think we're probably a little worse that a coinflip against his range, with a little bit of fold equity. I would say stop-n-go>fold>push