Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 08:45 PM

Default What\'s More Important: Pot Control or Preventing Draws

After being on this site for only a few weeks, I feel my game as dramatically improved. Whereas before I didn't have any respect for pot control and complete respect for making people pay for any possible draw (which might be the problem most somewhat solid beginners struggle with the most), I've come to sort of switch the two around. It's gotten to the point, though, where I'm unsure of what to value more in specific situations. Even though I'd rather be confused over which is more important than not have any respect for pot control at all, this problem is probably more annoying to cope with. I find myself giving advice to players in the MSNL section and then changing my mind only a few second later.

Here are two examples from earlier today:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post9021396

I gave my response in the thread. Without a read on villian, I might fold right there if he is a solid player. If I do call, though, and the turn brings a blank, do I bet here to prevent a draw, bet for value, or check for pot control? Before I began valuing pot control, I would bet this turn 100% of the time for a combination of value and preventing a draw. Now I'm not sure what is correct...is my hand good enough to go AI with, or is it only marginal?

Here is the second hand:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post9023180

Lets go right to the turn. Hero's hand is more marginal than the previous one. Here I am pretty confident that it is correct to check. The first reason is that you have a ton of PF callers and there is a great chance you are beat. But then again, wouldn't you have been re-raised on a drawy board such as this if villian really did have a great hand? If the J doesn't come on the turn and it's a non-diamond under, do we bet again?

So I guess my overall question is, what factors should be valued the most when playing out a hand. I think getting to value several different components of a hand (board texture, pot control, etc.) was a big step for me, but now I'm at the irritating point of not knowing what is more important and when.

Any help is really appreciated here. Thanks
Old 02-02-2007, 08:50 PM

Default Re: What\'s More Important: Pot Control or Preventing Draws

[ QUOTE ]

After being on this site for only a few weeks, I feel my game as dramatically improved.

[/ QUOTE ]

The next step in your advancement is finding your way to the NL forums.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:10 PM

My bad, I actually posted in both. I didn't know there was a difference between the two. Guess I was just trying to max my EV?
Old 02-03-2007, 03:05 AM

heehehehe, funny tiger
Old 02-03-2007, 11:28 AM

Value betting.