Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2006, 09:42 PM

Default Getting fired

I am a recent college grad and have spent the past 8 months working at the corporate office of a giant home improvement retailer. I worked hard and loved my job, but had a personality conflict with my boss, who eventually fired me.

There are lots of details involved but based on the situation and on the feedback I got from former team members, other managers, friends, family, and my mentor, I decided to seek "Wrongful Termination." HR did an investigation and I found out today that the verdict was not in my favor. [censored]!!!

Things against me: I'm jobless and the only real pertinent work experience on my resume ended in termination due to "performance issues."
Things in my favor: A ton of former coworkers have emphasized to me that they would happily serve as references, I have an engineering degree from the #1 school for that type of engineering, and I have a good GPA.

Has anyone else been in this situation? How do I handle this in interviews? What can I do in terms of damage control? I'm an extremely competent person and pretty much everyone agrees I got a totally raw deal, but I can't exactly say that to a potential employer without sounding pathetic. Any advice on how to deal with any aspect of this situation would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Getting fired

[ QUOTE ]
I'm an extremely competant person...

[/ QUOTE ]

I LOL'ed.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:45 PM

Bring it up before they do, so you look confident that you are in the right.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:49 PM

Don't sweat it. Five years from now it won't matter.

Seriously, it happens. If someone asks why you left, just say it wasn't a good fit for you at the time and leave it at that.
If contacted, your former company can say nothing more than that you did work there and the date of hire and termination (at least that's the law in many states...).

Now go get yourself some hookers and coke
Old 06-23-2006, 09:55 PM

I would be far more concerned by the fact that you got fired in the first place as that may signal a bigger problem that may keep repreating itself. You will work with a lot of d-bags in your career and you cant get into personality conflicts with them. It is the kiss of death of a career.

Why did you get fired?
Old 06-23-2006, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why did you get fired?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-23-2006, 10:01 PM

I'm sure most of OOT is more interested in the events surrounding your being terminated. Spill the beans.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:07 PM

learn to gamble
Old 06-23-2006, 10:39 PM

Well I don't know why everyone feels the need to be a dick in these threads.
Got to tell the truth because they're going to find out eventually. Some employers may not be understanding and think you're difficult or whatever, but it's not a terribly uncommon situation - some of the people who will interview you will have experienced the same thing so it shouldn't be too difficult to overcome if you don't have any legitimate skelatons. Also check out the Monster boards, good luck.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:00 PM

Lots of people get fired.

I got fired from a job as well and don't think it was a big deal. Personality conflict possibly similar to yours.

Although my employer fired about half of our office (pretty much 1 at a time) so I was in pretty good company.

I disagree with those who imply that the OP must have done something wrong with regards to getting along with his boss.
Perhaps he could have done better somewhere in there of course.
But some bosses are just on super-ego trips and practically enjoy firing people whom they decide they don't like.

If you're good at what you do and have the skills and personality to back it up then just go get another job.
Somebody out there will be willing to give you another chance.