Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Please tell me about these 3 majors

English, Spanish, Communication

are all 3 worthless? what sort of jobs/salary can one get with these majors?

Thank you.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Please tell me about these 3 majors

I don't know much but I'm pretty sure communications is the easiest and least respected on that list.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:43 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
communications is the easiest and least respected on that list.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

My mother has a Bachelor's in English Literature, which she wound up in after going through Biology and Anthropology first. She currently has a job as a supervisor at the state Department of Labor. The pay is decent and the benefits are great, but she got screamed at and occasionally threatened by irate unemployment-insurance applicants for a few years to get there.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:47 PM

All my friends who are English majors never have to do anything for any of their classes ( I go to ASU if that matters). Needless to say, they are really enjoying their college experience.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:59 PM

It depends on what you want to do. In national polls, liberal arts degrees (like mine) consistently earn less upon graduation than science/engineering/computer degrees. However, if you have a plan for after college--like going to law school--all three will work well, and learning Spanish is recommended.

If you look at current job market trends, you'll see that people switch jobs now up to ten times during their career. So eventually you'll begin to define yourself more in terms of your work experience and less in terms of your degree.

But unless you want to go into business or engineering, what you do in college will likely be as important as the degree. Ex. Did you intern anywhere? Did you meet with career counselors to plan things out? Did you set up a networking system that you can tap after graduation to land a job? Did you keep grades up so you can get into grad school? Did you do anything during the summer that will help with career prospects or did you play poker all summer? =)

If you are truly lost about what you want to major in, I recommend the one that interests you the most. Much better to get a degree in English because you like poetry than to fail out of a business major because accounting is boring.

Just my two cents. Take it FWIW.

PS. If you major in English or communications, take a bunch of writing & rhetoric classes. Whatever field you are in at the moment, *writing is a skill in demand.*
Old 08-13-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope you want to be a teacher... Seriously, these major's don't help you out in the real world all that much. Comm maybe, but good luck trying to distiguish yourself from all the other comm majors.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:11 PM

Eh, communications isn't nearly as worthless as people here are making it out to be. I added it as a second major mostly because it has really cool classes but also because, yeah, it isn't that hard.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:46 PM

I'm a communication major, but that's only because my school doesn't have a journalism major. Apart from the journalism classes, the comm department classes are pretty easy.

Most of the people who are comm majors are going into either PR or journalism. When people ask me what my major is, I say journalism. That should say something about how respected a comm major is...but it's fairly useful for law school I suppose (I'm taking a class on persuasion to the fall that should be pretty interesting)
Old 08-13-2007, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope you want to be a teacher... Seriously, these major's don't help you out in the real world all that much. Comm maybe, but good luck trying to distiguish yourself from all the other comm majors.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is just the kind of narrow-minded thinking in this forum that makes me laugh

yes, as an academic discipline, communications or english won't be as respected as engineering or biology. and sure, your starting salary won't be as much. but to think that someone is limited to becoming a teacher by what major they choose is completely ridiculous.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:06 AM

when you come out of standford it doesn't matter nearly as much as when you come out of colorado or arizona...