Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2006, 05:44 PM

Default Stop Loss Losing Sessions???

Ok, so I just endured a beating of a session. Getting sucked out on with over pair to river 3 out 2 pairs and what have you. The worst was three handed, turned second nut flush, action capped, river blank, call river bet to see both my opponents with flush and of course one had the nut.

That aside, sorry it prob should have been in bbv, but I needed a minute to rant/set up my question.

When is it time to call a session quits even when you know you are playing your A game, but just can't seem to get anything going and are taking a beating??? Thanks.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Stop Loss Losing Sessions???

[ QUOTE ]
When is it time to call a session quits even when you know you are playing your A game, but just can't seem to get anything going and are taking a beating??? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the game is still good and you're playing well then you stay. Simple. Some of my biggest winning sessions have started out with 75BB drops.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:50 PM

There were two good articles arguing for and against 'money management' techniques such as stop losses. The gist of it is that if you have an edge and are playing well, even if you are getting killed you should keep going because you will win in the long run. On the other side of the coin, after getting killed you probably /aren't/ playing your A game or you don't realize why you don't have an edge. Any hard and fast rules are pretty arbitrary.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:52 PM

If the table is good and your able to continue playing your A game, I think it's good to stay. Sometimes it's hard to continue playing your best game due to fustration or annoyance, etc., and then it would probably be better to leave.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:35 PM

The more you get sucked out by bad players, the longer you have to stay [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2006, 06:44 PM

As soon as you realize you are tilting you should get up from the table. If you are not tilting and realize you are still in a profitable game there is no reason to quit. From the opening post it sounds like these suckouts had an impact on your emotional state so it would probably make sense to sit out or take a break.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:03 AM

I have pretty good control of my tilt these days, however during some sessions every now and then I just can't win. I will be sitting with two 50+/0-5 or 15-25 guys to my right and play close to perfect and still lose time after time as a huge favorite.

I understand that there can and shouldn't be any set in stone rules about when to keep playing and when to stop. And, I appreciate all of your comments and agree with the idea of stopping when you don't have an edge or are tilting.

However, sometimes it just feels like something else is going on. I don't think it is collusion as I will get sucked out on with dominating hands, so I don't really know what it is? I think I may just need to understand running bad a little more...?

Thanks adsman for your reply, and I've had similar results where I drop up to 100bb and finish up nice on the day, but some sessions have noooo hope!?!
Old 02-14-2006, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the game is still good and you're playing well then you stay. Simple. Some of my biggest winning sessions have started out with 75BB drops.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I sucked and only played like 1 table I used to stop after I lost a certain amount. Playing 3-4 tables it's too hard to keep track of what I'm up or down exactly, not to mention that the quicker and bigger I lose, the better the table probably is. These days the session ends when I'm either tired, I've played a good amount and my tables all broke and the rest of the ones I have open suck or I have school work to do.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There were two good articles arguing for and against 'money management' techniques such as stop losses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a link to these, or were they in publications?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:08 PM

If losing is effecting me emotionally (tilt) i will take a break. Usually though if I get stuck it just means I have to play longer because i hate to see red numbers for the day. That being said... sometimes winning a bunch tilts me to "play my rush" and i end up giving some back.

I basically spend every session that i play monitoring myself to make sure i am playing "my game" and not my feelings.