Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Re: The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

[ QUOTE ]
Oppoent: "This game sucks. People call you with anything. Nobody can beat this game."

Me: "You're right"

[/ QUOTE ]

"If I had the bankroll, I'd play higher limits. It's so much easier to win when people respect your raises."
Old 05-02-2007, 03:59 PM

at the 10k borgata event, a kid told me he regularly folds KK preflop when tightish players 3 bet him
Old 05-02-2007, 04:18 PM

If you'll notice most of this "advice" is a way of justifying how most people like to play, loose and passive.

It also seeks to find a way to avoid bad beats, which upset people the most in poker.

People are silly animals.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:51 PM

HIM: "The best time to play at the boats is in the late afternoon, thats when all the good players play. All of the tourists are there later in the evening."

ME: "Then woldn't you want to go later in the evening?"
Old 05-03-2007, 03:46 AM

Last September while railing the $330 at the Wynn - I think the blinds where 50/300/600...

Short stacked dude in UTG+1 - been raising all-in the 3 hands in a row. Raises all in again - folds around to SB who also folds - Dude proceeds to flash an Ace with BB still to act. Floor gets called and he rules show 1 show show both. Dude shows AJ offsuit.

BB hums & haws - says he doesn't know what to do because he has the same hand. I don't remember the suits but they shared 1 suit with the BB having the best of it.

BB then proceeds to fold - NO LIE
Old 05-03-2007, 04:42 AM

I had a guy at work tell me he plays low cards if he's seen low cards being dealt often lately. I tried to tell him they are dealt randomly. He answered, "Well it works for me."

A donk to my right in a tourney called a standard raise from an ep tight player with 12bbs with 77 when it was obvious the raiser had a monster. I had to ask him why he called with that as he raked in shorties stack after flopping a set vs shorties AA.

He answered,"I never make a standard raise with AA I just move in because I don't want someone to flop a set on me."

That didn't really answer my question just as I was going to ask what he thought the raiser had and what was he hoping to flop, another donk chimed in that he shoves with AA too.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:09 AM

NL homegame:

Pot is multiway and big. Guy with a flopped set bets about 1/5th of the pot. 3 callers and the small blind pushes (about a pot-sized raise). Guy with set instacalls, rest fold. Pusher tables a Q-high flushdraw. The flush hits on the turn.

I ask him why he didn't just call, since he was closing the action and getting a great price, and then see if he would hit.

He goes "I have to put all the money in now, cause if I call and hit the flush I never get paid off"
Old 05-03-2007, 11:26 AM

At a 1/2 NL game, a guy with about $60 raises to $14. Another guy who had limped reraised him all-in. The initial raiser folds, and the 3-bettor shows AQs. The first guy mutters that he's the worst player in the world and he had AK.
I tried to explain to him why that spot is an insta-call (AK dominates or flips with every hand but KK-AA; his stack is so tiny he's already committed; there's money already in so a flip is profitable, etc.), but all I could get in response was "I don't want to take a flip for my whole stack". *shrug* Guy busted out a few hands later, unsurprisingly.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NL homegame:

Pot is multiway and big. Guy with a flopped set bets about 1/5th of the pot. 3 callers and the small blind pushes (about a pot-sized raise). Guy with set instacalls, rest fold. Pusher tables a Q-high flushdraw. The flush hits on the turn.

I ask him why he didn't just call, since he was closing the action and getting a great price, and then see if he would hit.

He goes "I have to put all the money in now, cause if I call and hit the flush I never get paid off"

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the players involved, and that'll make all the difference, but this play doesn't strike me as bad. If the FD has any reasonable fold equity the shove is reasonable, and if gets multiple callers it will be much more +EV than the call. Especially if he had other draws (high cards, pairs, or backdoor straights). Against unknowns this looks like a good shove. He didn't know he was up against a set right? And his statement is true, he doesn't have good implied odds on an obvious hand like a flush, so they likely won't pay off.

Again, depends on the players in the game, I suppose, but as presented I don't see the problem.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NL homegame:

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the players involved, and that'll make all the difference, but this play doesn't strike me as bad. If the FD has any reasonable fold equity the shove is reasonable, and if gets multiple callers it will be much more +EV than the call. Especially if he had other draws (high cards, pairs, or backdoor straights). Against unknowns this looks like a good shove. He didn't know he was up against a set right? And his statement is true, he doesn't have good implied odds on an obvious hand like a flush, so they likely won't pay off.

Again, depends on the players in the game, I suppose, but as presented I don't see the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
He had 0-FE, believe me. At best he was drawing to 1 overcard in addition to the flush. And in this case he didn't even have the full 9 outs.

[ QUOTE ]
and if gets multiple callers [a push] will be much more +EV than the call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not when you're getting 8:1 pot odds on the call + implied odds.